topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What annoys you to no end?  (Read 345099 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What annoys you to no end?
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2008, 05:39 PM »
People who send emails that are just spam virus warnings:

****ZOOMG!! KIILLER VIRUS WARNIGN****
THIS ONE IS REAL!!1!1!!11 IT WAS REPORTED ON SNOPES

Then you look it up on the snopes link conveniently placed in the email, and the article says it's a hoax  :-\ :-\ :-\

I love my mother very much... but dang Mom, stop with the emails already!!

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2008, 03:59 AM »
Here is one for you all, websites with forms which auto-advance you once you fill the field completely (like telephone numbers, area codes and zip codes). THIS PISSES ME OFF! If i want to change it I have to be very quick to hit DELETE so I can make the change. STOP IT!!!!

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2008, 09:34 AM »
Nextels' "beep-beep" 
I'll have what she's having

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2008, 11:00 AM »
Myself.

I always end up feeling I should  - and could be - more than I am.

toni-knighthood.jpg

;D

----------------------

Also that "Woo-hoo,  woo-hoo-hoo" thing that runs all the way through those Vonage commercials.

I will never subscribe to Vonage because I hate their commercials so much.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:04 AM by 40hz »

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2008, 11:25 PM »
Being interrupted & losing my work, by updates for software I didn't even know I had (such as that on my mobile phone).
AVG keeping me informed of what it's doing while preventing me from going online, with messages I don't even understand.
Conflicting definitions of file types when looked up online:
".XYZ is a known Trojan Horse."
"Contrary to popular belief, .XYZ files are not Trojan Horse files. They are needed by your system in order for it to run properly.

GRRR!
-Sarah

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2009, 08:12 AM »
People who use big words, or words that are very uncommon, to attempt to show their intelligence, education level, or just sound smart. This annoys me because 9 times out of 10 the words are not necessary. Yes, you may be a very educated person, but you do not need to attempt to prove it every time you talk, post, or express yourself.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2009, 08:57 AM »
People who use big words, or words that are very uncommon, to attempt to show their intelligence, education level, or just sound smart. This annoys me because 9 times out of 10 the words are not necessary. Yes, you may be a very educated person, but you do not need to attempt to prove it every time you talk, post, or express yourself.

I sympathize with this to a degree. However, once a word enters your vocabulary, it becomes PART of your vocabulary (and therefore come naturally in conversation/writing) and 1. it'd be a shame not to use it! and 2. sometimes high falutin' words just get the idea across more efficiently and accurately. Thus, I don't think that ALL big words are used because posters are attempting to show off - maybe using the big word just feels natural to them and conveys their thoughts most accurately?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2009, 10:45 AM »

I sympathize with this to a degree. However, once a word enters your vocabulary, it becomes PART of your vocabulary (and therefore come naturally in conversation/writing) and 1. it'd be a shame not to use it! and 2. sometimes high falutin' words just get the idea across more efficiently and accurately. Thus, I don't think that ALL big words are used because posters are attempting to show off - maybe using the big word just feels natural to them and conveys their thoughts most accurately?

+1. I love unusual, archaic, oddball words. I sort of collect them although I usually scale my vocabulary to whomever I talking to. For those friends of mine who love words, anything goes. We collect and trade them back and forth. No harm intended.

Besides, what's the point of speaking English (which contains the world's largest number of words) unless you can also play with it?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2009, 11:02 AM »
Agreed, totally +1.  And I don't use them to attempt to show my education, as I am more often than not disappointed when I have to explain what I said.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2009, 11:39 AM »
i love big words, unless i don't know them - then i just feel like a dork. but that's part of the fun.

two things that i do find annoying:

1. repeatedly forgetting what a particular big word meant - therefore feeling like a dork again.

2. people that don't really use big words trying to use a trendy big word that is currently doing the rounds.

perhaps it's just me, but i've noticed people saying "plethora" recently - one minor internet radio celebrity has to say it, at least, once during every single show they do. "zeitgeist" seemed a bit trendy a few years back with media folk - now, none of them say it.

Shook

• Joined in 2008
  • ↑ DANISH
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2009, 01:56 PM »
Well, there are a number of things that tick me off, considering my bad temper, but there are some that stand above everything else:
- When people intentionally take and/or mess with my stuff, without my permission. Even more so if the intention is to annoy me.
- When people frame me, as in, they say that i did something that i didn't do in reality. Even if people were kidding, i would take it as a grave offense.
- Being interrupted repeatedly while speaking. Luckily not an issue over the internet. ;)
- When people prevent me from doing whatever I'm doing or what I'm about to do (scratching my head, laying my arm across my stomach or whatever).
- Constantly losing at the same point in a video game.
- Video games that crash repeatedly and without any reason. (I'm looking at you, Fallout 3!)

... Can't be good for my mental health. :huh:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2009, 03:38 PM »
Few things upset me as much as when i misplace something and can't find it..  Even more so when i do it repeatedly and know that i should have taken more care to keep track of it.  I really get mad at myself.

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Few things upset me as much as when i misplace something and can't find it..  Even more so when i do it repeatedly and know that i should have taken more care to keep track of it.  I really get mad at myself.

How about buying a replacement for a misplaced item, only to find it the next day...that's really annoying.
-Sarah

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2009, 07:46 PM »
The fact that about a quarter of the Internet population spells "lose" with two o's when referring to misplacing something.

I just might loose my mind!
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2009, 08:54 PM »
- Video games that crash repeatedly and without any reason. (I'm looking at you, Fallout 3!)

Wow... I haven't had that problem; neither have any of my friends that are playing it.  Are you patched to the latest version and are your video drivers up to date?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2009, 09:07 PM »
This happens to me ALL THE TIME! It hasnt happened so much with Vista as it did with XP, but lately the issues have been when the SERVEr I am playing on has an issue and restarts suddenly causing my game to crash rather than an actual game bug.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2009, 09:40 AM »
Smart phone menu systems which route calls to a call center based on the area code the received call is from! THIS IS HORRIBLE. With the advent of VOIP, you can have an area code anywhere in the country. I have a 910 area code on my phone number but I live in the 301/443 area code district. As such, whenever I call verizon I am routed to Florida which handles North Carolina (910) and they have to transfer me to the Virginia service center. STOP THIS MADNESS. You would think verizon, an internet services company, would realize that some people take phone numbers with them and move around the country, ESPECIALLY THE MILITARY.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2009, 07:44 PM »
The fact that about a quarter of the Internet population spells "lose" with two o's when referring to misplacing something.

I just might loose my mind!

Only a quarter?  I think your estimation is a bit loose - more like 90%......and yes, it annoys the crap out of me too!

Josh, Darwin, 40Hz and nudone were talking about big words a few posts up which reminded me of a card I have here that I never got around to sending to someone.

What Darwin, 40Hz and nudone would say:
Card F.jpg

What Josh would say:
Card B.jpg

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2009, 08:25 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :beerchug:

Like I said, I have no objection to being eloquent with my vocabulary, but only if the situation dictates it. One place I hate to see it is on a forum where one cannot know the sheer level of education behind the users.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2009, 09:08 PM »
W.S. Gibert put it very nicely in his classic poem If You're Anxious for to Shine in the High Aesthetic Line

If you're anxious for to shine in the high aesthetic line as a man of culture rare,
You must get up all the germs of the transcendental terms, and plant them
     everywhere.

You must lie upon the daisies and discourse in novel phrases of your complicated
     state of mind.

The meaning doesn't matter if it's only idle chatter of a transcendental kind.

And everyone will say,
                      As you walk your mystic way,

"If this young man expresses himself in terms too deep for me,

Why, what a very singularly deep young man this deep young man must be!"

Now I could try to do it better
Using words with many letters,
To construct a clever verse or two.

But it seems a bloody waste
When I can do a 'cut and paste,'
And share a better poet's poem with you!

;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:06 AM by 40hz »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2009, 07:34 AM »
Now I could try to do it better
-hz
Not bad, I think you're almost ready for the oily cart!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2009, 09:49 AM »
This happens to me ALL THE TIME! It hasnt happened so much with Vista as it did with XP, but lately the issues have been when the SERVEr I am playing on has an issue and restarts suddenly causing my game to crash rather than an actual game bug.

Server?  Are we still talking about Fallout 3?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Battlefield 2.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2009, 04:05 PM »
Here is a partial list of things that you get from all too many tech companies that piss me off. (Taken from my giant list of "Things that piss me off").

1. Pre-installed junk software that comes on new computers. (Known semi-officially as "crapware").
      a. Pre-installed junk software that is only a "free trial" and wants to upsell you at a price that is more than if you bought it otherwise.
      b. Pre-installed junk software that is difficult or impossible to uninstall.
      c. Pre-installed junk software that is a minimal or crippled version that keeps trying to upsell you an upgraded version.

2. Full, retail-priced software that has junk included in the installer that you don't want. (Yahoo Toolbar, anyone?)

3. Software that, upon installation, "breaks" other software on your computer.

4. "Sundown dates" where a software company announces that your version will not be supported after that date, forcing you to upgrade to their newer version.  Which all too often is the same as the old version but with a new look.

5. Not telling me the real full price upfront, or selling software that doesn't really work unless you purchase additional add-ons.

6. Software that phones home with more information about me than I want them to have.

7. Software that embeds itself so deeply that it cannot easily be fully uninstalled.

8. Outsourced tech support, especially to overseas companies with non-English-speaking techs reading from scripts. Especially when they give their names as Steve or Linda! (This is not a hit on the ones that are well-trained and do really help, but the ones that have no training other than reading from a very basic script, or that cannot speak nor understand my language well enough to converse).

9. Companies with confusing or misleading EULA's. (Early on says they will never give your data to another company, then later says they WILL give it to "trusted companies" only to offer you great products.)

10. Companies that sell my personal info to telemarketing firms.

11. Confusing privacy policies that appear to have been written by monkeys - and I apologize if that offends any monkeys out there.

12. Software licenses that limit installation to one computer only. (IMO all should be usable on one stationary and one mobile computer).

13. "Razor and Blades" scams wherein you are sold an inexpensive primary product that requires endless additional purchases of outrageously priced consumables.  (Inkjet printers and ink cartridges).

That's enough for here - I don't want to get too bitchy.

Jim

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2009, 04:30 PM »
People who take there time switching into the interstate/highway lanes after entering from an exit. MERGE ALREADY! YOU ARE SLOWING UP PROGRESS!!!

And all of the *#%( DAMNED ICONS that quicken places on my desktop on a clean install!