topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WordFlashReader: Open Source (Free) Utility to Help You Read Faster  (Read 7159 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
This looks like a very interesting project.  Make sure to check out the short review at freewaregenius, which is helpful as always, and where i saw this mentioned first.

Want an efficient way to do on-screen reading of web-pages, email, and other electronic texts? Try WordFlashReader -- its a Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP) program that makes on-screen reading easy. Its free, open-source, and works on both Windows and Linux. Try it out!

This program works best with text files and html files, but can open pdf files as well. WordFlashReader works by flashing each word of the text or book sequentially on the screen (pausing for punctuation). Not only is this way of reading off of a computer screen less straining on the eyes than the normal method, but also after a little practice you may discover that you can read at multiple times the speed you normally do.

ThalSwe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • On my way
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WordFlashReader: Open Source (Free) Utility to Help You Read Faster
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Looks interesting. End up reading large chunks of text every now and again on the computer and could be interesting to try out.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Ah! I forgot about that program. I do most of my reading online and use Zap Reader. WordFlashReader is great for speed reading articles I have downloaded for offline reading.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:21 PM »
actually this would be great as a firefox extension in the context menu of selected text, lightbox style