topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free Microsoft Commercial Developer Tools  (Read 13971 times)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free Microsoft Commercial Developer Tools
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:34 PM »
Is that with the usual clause they tend to use? Ie, no commercial projects, your license is revoked when you're no longer a student, etc.?

The Express Editions aren't super-handicapped, by the way, and iirc their licenses are pretty liberal. (And are for anybody, not just students).
- carpe noctem

arunpawar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:37 AM »
another move agains open source.they are doing this like google did on google summer of code and otehr google contests.

its all to get more developers cause MS is loosing developers on the fly.even if MS web technologies are used in industry it is not used with individuals and some other open source evagilist.and they are very strict with licesne so if u are last year student then you won't able to upgrade for free.or maybe they have non commercial app restriction usage.

good move but very late.
Ruby on rails.PHP,Google Mashup,J2EE,Spring,Hibernate,AJAX,XUL is all we need cause it is free.even if industry force MS technlogy usage but some hosting companies and individual will continue to save with open source.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:22 AM »
Is that with the usual clause they tend to use? Ie, no commercial projects, your license is revoked when you're no longer a student, etc.?

The Express Editions aren't super-handicapped, by the way, and iirc their licenses are pretty liberal. (And are for anybody, not just students).

Seems to be personal/non-commercial but I couldn't see anything in the T&Cs that says the license dies with your student status.

MS have never done that in the past with academic discounted software (eg. Windows XP or Office XP/2003).

Some companies have done that but Adobe and MS aren't (IME) among them.

By the way for students in the EU not all establishments are listed but you can still register by getting an ISIC (International Student Identity Card) and choosing ISIC from the dropdown menu of establishments. OK it is a pain (costs £9 to get a card) but probably worth it if you want to learn Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 Pro or use Windows 2003 Server Standard Ed (yes please - that is going to be very useful to me at the mo).

Also as far as I can tell it isn't limited to one product either.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:27 PM »
Seems to be personal/non-commercial but I couldn't see anything in the T&Cs that says the license dies with your student status.

MS have never done that in the past with academic discounted software (eg. Windows XP or Office XP/2003).
I'm pretty sure they have done with with both Visual Studio and Office2000, at least in .dk.
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 03:15 PM »
good move but very late.
Ruby on rails.PHP,Google Mashup,J2EE,Spring,Hibernate,AJAX,XUL is all we need cause it is free.even if industry force MS technlogy usage but some hosting companies and individual will continue to save with open source.

Hmmm...

I'm going to have to disagree there... Free is usually not the answer.

I work with:

* Closed source commercial software
* Open source software (FOSS)
* Open source commercial software

I find that it is cheaper to work with commercial software most often. In general I find that FOSS software lacks documentation needed to use it quickly and effectively. The development time spent getting up to speed with some FOSS can cost more than just purchasing a commercial component where you get the docs needed to start using it right away.

Not always true, but very often I find that's the case.

If I were a student, I'd go for MS tools like that in a heartbeat.

As for the MS "attack" on OS, I think they "get it" now, and I believe that they will succeed for the most part.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 03:21 PM »

I'm pretty sure they have done with with both Visual Studio and Office2000, at least in .dk.

I have bought numerous academic discounted MS products (Windows XP Pro, Office XP and 2003 and Visual Studio 6) and none have had a 'death on graduation' condition - or if they do it isn't enforced in any way. (Thats UK though)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Mmm, I wonder what's the use of this if college students already have MSDNAA, with quite more software available free of charge, even Windows Vista and Server.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 07:12 PM »
"members of their respective computer science or math departments. To ensure qualified students have access to the programs, Microsoft is working with university departments, governments and student organizations. Integrated directly into the service, students will be asked annually to verify their continued eligibility."

http://www.betanews....ent_tools/1203522040

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 04:12 AM »
Just to clarify: that quote is for software supplied to students under institution license scheme, not the free student giveaway scheme.

AIUI even then the license the ex-student is using doesn't die, it is just that your are outside licensing terms if you continue to use the product.

Some other companies supply software to students with expiring licenses so that the software actually becomes unusable without revalidation and a new license code.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 04:14 AM by Carol Haynes »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 05:08 AM »
MS is pretty good with their licensing. If you haven't heard of them, check out the Empower Program or the Action Pack. Both very good deals.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 09:27 AM »
Some other companies supply software to students with expiring licenses so that the software actually becomes unusable without revalidation and a new license code.
That wasn't what I meant - just that your (legal) license to use the products are terminated when you're no longer a student. I recall having talking about this issue with Jibz (for older Office and Visual Studio), and I'm pretty sure he pointed out part of the license that said your license was terminated when you're no longer a student.
- carpe noctem

exold

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste.
    • View Profile
    • Exold
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Microsoft gives away free developer software to students
 (see attachment in previous post)

Note also that there's still a month or so left on their Office-2007-Ultimate-for-$59.95 student deal. Frankly, if you need more than one of these applications, it's probably saving money if you sign up for a couple courses at your local community college. I'm fortunate enough to already be taking classes anyway  :Thmbsup:.
---
David A. P.
Ars Arboris -- Art of the Tree.