ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best program to manage information collections?

<< < (4/5) > >>

mouser:
people, if you post an affiliate link, which we discourage here, you at least need to say clearly that you are making money from people visiting with your link.

tsdragon:
I've been using the free version of Personal Brain for a while and I like the way it's always handy, but it can be cumbersome at times, the free version has some annoying limitations, and the Pro version is VERY expensive.

TopicScape is cool, but graphics intensive and cumbersome.

I've been looking at Surfulator and used the DC discount to buy it. It's great for organizing larger pieces of information, but not so good for tiny snippets.

I've never found one I really felt comfortable with. I'm going to try some of the recommendations here.

What I really want is an information manager:

* that is always available, discreet, but pops up when I need it
* that I can drag and drop URLs, images, text, etc, into when I want to make quick note of something,
* that is easy to organize
* that allows me to format entries in any way I like
* that can cross-reference or cross-link items into multiple topics
* that is quickly searchable
* that can link topics to programs and files
* that is easily navigated
* etc, etc, etc.
Don't want much, do I?

wraith808:
UltraRecall seems better for non-related (or semi-related) bits of information, and it seems to have most if not all of what you're looking for.  Google notebook might also be an option, though I've not delved deep enough into it to know.

And mouser, maybe it would be a good policy to have to edit posts to remove affiliate links?

So you (or some admin) would edit his post to have http://www.bitsmithsoft.com/ in it instead of the affiliate link?

wraith808:
@tsdragon

Before I download PersonalBrain, a couple of questions:
1. What are the annoying limitations that it has?
2. Is it normally just a minimized window?  Or does it minimize to the tray?
3. When minimized, how do you use it?

TIA for the info!

thomthowolf:
What I really want is an information manager:

* that is always available, discreet, but pops up when I need it
* that I can drag and drop URLs, images, text, etc, into when I want to make quick note of something,
* that is easy to organize
* that allows me to format entries in any way I like
* that can cross-reference or cross-link items into multiple topics
* that is quickly searchable
* that can link topics to programs and files
* that is easily navigated
* etc, etc, etc.
Don't want much, do I?
-tsdragon (February 23, 2008, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have to say that your list is a perfect description of evernote.  I have been using it since early beta testing, and I have to say that it meets every requirement on your list (with the possible exception of the etc, etc, etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version