ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Digital ink/tablet pc: worth the effort?

<< < (7/7)

J-Mac:
@mikiem:  I agree completely regarding the "feel" you get from the tactile feedback from the pen!  A whole new feeling in place of the mouse, to which we have become so accustomed.  Though I could not use the pen comfortably as yet for all purposes for which I now use the mouse.  That would take a lot if use to get comfortable.

@Darwin: I agree with you also about how much fun it is to use a Wacom Bamboo Fun!  As I posted once before, though: I love the tablet and pen with apps like Art Rage 2, but I still have a certain amount of difficulty using it to write notes on a smaller window, like in Evernote.

Jim

steeladept:
It's a shame that there isn't a "lending program" for such items - we could really benefit from something like that!
-J-Mac (February 02, 2008, 03:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, under certain circumstances, there are programs like that.  HP, for example, has a demo program where customers (Enterprise level anyway) can request demos and actually use them for up to 6 weeks I believe.  We use it at work frequently to create images and test systems before we decide what we will buy for an upgrade path.  In fact, my last flat panel monitor and laptop were both demos that the company decided not to purchase, but allowed us to purchase independently at their cost for the demo.  It wasn't at much of a discount since it was still essentially new, but it allowed us to try before we buy.  I don't know of anything like this on the consumer side, but if you have a business and buy computers regularly for it directly from a supplier like HP or Dell, it is worth an inquiry.

dlagesse1992:
I'm on my tablet right now =].

My school required everyone in my class to get a tablet PC for school. Mine is a bit heavier, 14" ~7 pounds, but with a sweet graphics card and more power than th smaller ones. I've gotten used to it, and use the tablet function occasionally.

It really depends on what you do with it. On the go, it's great, way better than a trackpad (I use a mouse, but some don't). It is great for taking notes, a lot better for showing relationships between items. Tablet support in OS's is good. Mine came with XP tablet edition, pretty good. I'm actually using Linux now (Ubuntu), but I still got it working fine. Make sure it is a Wacom.

Tablets are really useful in some areas. In other, the added cost isn't worth it. For smaller computers, I think a tablet is great, an easy way to use the computer. On a desktop replacement, not so much.

Overall, if you can afford the extra money, go for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version