topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Apple ][ software  (Read 3850 times)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apple ][ software
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:12 PM »
I just picked up an old Apple ][e for nostalgia purposes, along with printer, mouse (!), and yes, even a 300 baud modem.  There was a box with a couple of software titles, but alas, I’ve long since discarded my old collection. It’s easy enough to find the disk images on the intertubes, but no way to put them onto media (they’re intended for emulators).

So this is an official beg: does anyone out there have a box of old Apple ][ disks that their spouses have been nagging to get rid of? I’d gladly pay postage if anyone were willing to donate to the Chris W Nostalgia Foundation  ;)  Please contact me off-list: [email protected]

FWIW, there are a couple of disks with it that jog my memory. One is a collection of Beagle Brothers utilities. I have fond memories of calling their stuff via GOSUB -- as far as I’m aware, they must be the first commercial vendor of programming components.

And there’s a copy of the Infocom game “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”. I once had that game for my Atari 800, but got so frustrated with it that I literally threw the disk out my college dorm window.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apple ][ software
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Beagle Brothers!!  :-* :-* :-*

Oh, man I remember their ads in some computing magazine WAAAAY back when that had insane one-line programs.

I think your best bet is to find an old 5-1/4 drive and some software that can burn the disk image.
Sorry I can't offer more help...

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Wow, I wish I did. You might consider checking with high schools and junior highs. If they didn't keep any of that, they might know the teacher who did, and if he's an Apple fan, he might have a basement full of disks. Worth a shot.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 11:44 AM »
I'm on the trail of an answer. It turns out that there is software out there to transfer disk images via either the serial port if your Apple has it, or even the cassette ports using standard audio cables!

I haven't actually tried this yet (I set the computer up at work as a joke, so it's not here). But it sounds promising.

See ADTPro: http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/index.html