ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Should I get my new laptop with hard drive partitioned?

<< < (6/7) > >>

tomos:
By the way if you want to put all the temp files with PageFile.sys in the first partition on drive 2 I suggest you use a fixed size page file.-Carol Haynes (April 17, 2008, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

How big?
-AndyM (April 18, 2008, 06:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
normally 1.5 times memory = e.g. 3GB if you have 2GB ram

AndyM:
first partition on second drive - (f0dder says you dont need one if you have 2GB ram tongue)
I have the Temp folders there and Temp Internet files too. Just nice to have the messy stuff all in one package!-tomos (April 17, 2008, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now I'm wondering if I should have the swap file in the first (small) partition of the second drive, and all the temp and other messy stuff in another partition on the second drive.

tomos:
first partition on second drive - (f0dder says you dont need one if you have 2GB ram tongue)
I have the Temp folders there and Temp Internet files too. Just nice to have the messy stuff all in one package!
--- End quote ---

Now I'm wondering if I should have the swap file in the first (small) partition of the second drive, and all the temp and other messy stuff in another partition on the second drive.
-AndyM (April 18, 2008, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have them all in the one partition - I dont think it makes much of a difference seeing as you probably make page file fixed size... (make that first then transfer temp folders etc)

Carol Haynes:
If you make the pagefile first and make sure the max and min sizes are the same (just use the recommended size it says in the dialogue box) then it will be created on a freshly formatted drive without significant fragmentation (a 3Gb file on a 4Gb drive will be fragmented simply because the MFT is in the middle of the partition so you page file will have at least 2 fragments). Reboot and them move the temp files etc.

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Honestly, I am very skeptical that you can ever make clean distinctions between O/S, programs and data in Windows, and any distinctions you could make could just as easily be done with the directory structure.  (e.g. set up a high-level "UserData" directory). The registry settings issue comes up, the issue of configuration settings that can be force-placed with the program directories, and the limitations of installers and programs that may not take too well to cross-partition pointing. The clean distinctions (as you might have on a mini-computers OS) do not apply. So why bother ?

Also, you might anyway have to make very important distinctions within data, with a multi-gig email being backup up separately from the daily high-gloss data (which might include a subset of the email, a few folders).  So you have lots of tweaking to do anyway in your backup program, even within the partition (other than image backup).

What did make a lot of sense above is a separate partitions for backup data.  I like that. A daily or weekly backup on disk at night to a separate partition.  Even two separate partitions, one for image backup, one for tailored backups.  Of course any such backup has to be sent offline reasonably frequently to be effective. Then you can optionally use the extra partitions as the offline data source. (Backup G:)  Might be a good idea, since this has absolutely no effect on regular programming functioning and never has to worry about exceptions to data/program structure, the problem above.  This also should allow you to have lots of backup data, away from the OS, on the disk.  In the way that does not force duplicate data into the image backup.  If I understand how these things work  :) .

Shalom,
Steven

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version