topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Maxthon (web browser) resource utilization...  (Read 22300 times)

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
Re: Maxthon (web browser) resource utilization...
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 04:49 PM »
Mozilla ran a zillion dollar campaign spreading the (false) rumor that Firefox was safer, faster and all sorts of possitive words, than IE - allthough it never was or is.

As far as one can objectively measure it, IE's rendering engine is the slowest of the current engines available overall, that is no "propaganda" (it is also the most bug-ridden in HTML/CSS/JS by a large margin). Neither is IE's horrendous security record some sort of collective fanboy fantasy, irrespective of whatever reasons can be ascribed (or that savvy users can tweak it to fill its copious holes). As someone who has no affiliation to either, I would put money on saying Firefox *is* safer and faster than IE. This thread is about resource usage however, and in that neither of them are particularly svelte...
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 05:34 PM »
I could tweak it to be much quicker (page rendering) than IE.

Yes, I have noticed that too, so I guess is was not just back in the not so good old days. But still, when Firefox finally is open and ready to go, Maxthon has already downloaded and installed the program I was going for. So I never consider using Firefox unless I know in advance that I am going to long-term-browse for movies or images (DownloadHelper, ImageToolbar, and FavLoc). If the situation is a simple link in an email, I will use ThunderBrowse in ThunderBird - it is much faster that anything else I have tried. I will use Maxthon for every other situation, because I think it is a clever browser - even it might be based on a billion dollar not even close to being perfect engine.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:12 PM by Curt »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 05:40 PM »
You know, sometimes i dislike myself for criticizing any browser.
People have worked hard on them.

But will all due respect, M2 has had it's fair share of complaints about CPU and resource usage. Just go over to their forum. Many like Chris Pirillo still prefer M1.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 05:54 PM »
I quite agree with you, dantheman; one should be carefull how to criticize such a complex design. But of course it is good to give usefull user's feedback, hints, comparings, etcetera. The problem at hand is that I get mad when someone sentence the worlds most complex browser, used by hundreds and even more hundreds millions of satisfied users, to be crap. It is not trustworthy, to say the least.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Oh, I got so carried away that I forgot to tell that I have tested various versions of Maxthon 2 Beta, and the final release, but I still use Maxthon 1.6, so...  ;)