ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Maxthon (web browser) resource utilization...

(1/6) > >>

Darwin:
I am getting really fed up of Maxthon 2.x. I LOVE this browser, however since sometime in the Maxthon 1.5x development cycle it became a resource PIG. At the moment it's consuming 84 MB of VM (with three tabs open - was at 150 MB a few minutes ago with about 15 tabs open) and often uses upwards of 20% of my CPU. Sadly, I suspect that this is a problem with all modern browsers... or am I wrong?

I have FF and Opera installed - and neither of them have "wowed" me as being svelte, either.

Darwin:
PS something *must* be wrong - I opened a group of five tabs, bringing total to 7 as I'd also closed two, as I posted the above. VM shot to over 100MB and CPU cycled between 35 and 70% (both for Maxthon, of course)... It has settled to 104MB VM and CPU is cycling between 1 and 3%. I am starting to sweat - do I have a security leak?

Curt:
With seven tabs / pages open my Maxthon 1.6 is using 367.188 K Virtual Size, 8.000 - 12.000 K Working Set, and 70.612 K Private Bytes.

It is a lot, but isn't it also quite normal? I don't see Firefox 2 using less.

Darwin:
Well... as I have both FF 2 and Opera 9.5 Beta installed, I tested this out. FF is easily the lightest on resources and Maxthon the worst. The biggest difference between Opera and FF on the one hand and Maxthon on the other is CPU utilization (though Maxthon DOES reign supreme WRT VM as well). Where Maxthon is pegging my processor in the 30-80% range when busy, FF and Opera are both at or under 30%. I tested this in all three opening the same Favorites folder of 24 links.

However, overall, I think you're right, Curt. The big gains in switching to either Opera or Firefox are going to be in security and not in performance... (though Opera seemed much quicker in loading those pages than the other two).

ThalSwe:
Never really looked at the resource usage for my browsers when I use them as...it simply isnt a big deal to me. If I surf I...well surf and dont use most other programs so dont mind if it takes some extra rescources and if I DO need to something else I minimize Opera and then it uses a lot less. Works for me.

I keep using opera for the browsing speed, costumizability in looks (sure, you can do this with Firefox too but it never feels as cleen and smooth as me as Opera does) and security. It also loads faster then the others I tried and thats good for impatient me ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version