ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File preview for TRichview (.RVF) native files...

(1/1)

johnk:
Fairly specific this, but I have a feeling DC members might have an answer to this one...

I have recently started using AM-Notebook (http://aignes.com/notebook.htm). I don't think there's been a mini-review of this on DC yet, so hopefully I'll get around to doing one in the next few days.

It has features I have been looking for in a note-taker/note management program. I like the fact that it keeps each note in a separate file. It uses the TRichView components for display (http://www.trichview.com/), and saves files in TRichview's native (.rvf) format. I don't have a problem with that, as AM-Notebook can export to RTF or HTML. However I cannot find a way to preview RVF files in explorer. I can normally rely on Directory Opus to preview just about anything, but it doesn't handle RVF files. XP pleads ignorance.

In fact, the only file viewer I have found for RVF files is a plug-in for Total Commander, and I don't intend switching file managers just to preview one file format. All I'm looking for is a quick read-only preview in Explorer. At the moment I can only view RVF files by opening them in AM-Notebook.

I know the obvious place to raise this issue is the AM-Notebook forums, but for some reason they are closed at the moment. Any advice appreciated.

Lashiec:
A good solution would be getting the RVF plugin for Lister, and install this viewer or Universal Viewer to preview the files. The problem is that you need to use a external viewer, but unless someone makes a explorer addon based on the plugin source code, I ignore a better solution.

johnk:
Thanks for the response, Lashiec. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way of using that plugin without using Total Commander, and as I'm happy with Directory Opus as my file manager, I don't think I want to buy Total Commander just to view RVF files.

However I might just head over to the Directory Opus forums and see if anyone can take a look at the source code of the TC plugin...

Lashiec:
Uh, no, no, there's no need to buy Total Commander to use the plugin. Both Lister (TC's built-in viewer) and Universal Viewer are offered for free, just like the plugins, so you install the plugin for one of the two, which exist independently of TC, and can be used with any file manager (I mapped F3 to use Universal Viewer in xplorer²). It does not get you a preview of the file directly under Windows' explorer, but it's better than nothing.

johnk:
Thanks Lashiec -- I had no idea that the viewers were separate apps (and freeware). Looks like they will work quite well to view other files as well, loads of plugins...

Finally, just in case anyone follows the same path (unlikely I know) --the RVF plugin (rvlister.wlx) won't install into the Lister viewer program in the normal way (the plugin is a few years old, so maybe there's a problem with it).

However I finally found a thread about the problem (in a German forum). A quick Google translation (where would we be without it) and I found that the only way to get this plugin working is to make a manual entry in Total Commander's ini file (wincmd.ini, normally in C:\Windows directory on XP). Editing the ini file is easy enough. Plugin works fine now.  Thanks again, Lashiec.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version