topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Organizational question  (Read 3411 times)

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Organizational question
« on: February 15, 2008, 04:15 PM »
I would really like to be able to tag certain files that I have in Windows XP, mostly to make it easier to search for those files.  Does anyone know of any WinXP software that would let me do that?

Jon P.

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Re: Organizational question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 04:38 PM »
What about using the Summary tab on the right-click properties of a file?.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Organizational question
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:47 PM »
There are a number of threads on that subject (one I started myself : https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=10469.0, and other ones like : https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=7469.0 ) .

Usually, the consensus is that there are no great and infallible (portable, robust, etc.) ways of tagging on windows XP, and the summary tab found in the file's property can unfortunately be pretty unreliable (not accessible under certain circumstances) and not that convenient to use -- edit, modify, search with a desktop search program, etc.

As for software, there's tag2find (the best tagging software I found) but it might disappear or go open source soon... There may are other solutions too, but I stopped searching once I decided to adopt a solution... after much thinking and pondering I now use a system which integrates tags in filenames. Yup, pretty straightforward, if you're careful with path length. I use AutoHotkey to implement that (but any software to systematize your file names would do; ie : direct access, intellicomplete).