ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

about to switch to a Widescreen LCD.

<< < (5/6) > >>

PaladinMJ:
thanks all for the help and replies. I'm gonna hook this bad boy up and give him as go.  8)

RipVW:
I just bought a new 22" HP W2207h after using a 17" CRT for years.  At first the images were stretched and blurry, but after adjusting the screen resolution to the recommended setting (1680 x 1050) everything scaled perfectly.  I couldn't be happier.  While researching for this LCD I narrowed my search down and then visited Circuit City and did a side-by-side comparison.  The HP won hands down for vibrant color, high contrast and sharp text.  The others appeared dull and fuzzy compared to the HP.  Although I'm not a gamer, the 5 ms response time should be good for gaming.  That's my 2cw.  :D

f0dder:
st bought a new 22" HP W2207h after using a 17" CRT for years.  At first the images were stretched and blurry, but after adjusting the screen resolution to the recommended setting (1680 x 1050) everything scaled perfectly.  I couldn't be happier.  While researching for this LCD I narrowed my search down and then visited Circuit City and did a
-RipVW (February 23, 2008, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Emphasis is mine - because it's a pretty important point. CRT monitors can "change resolution", whereas TFT monitors always run the same resolution, but stretches the source image to it's native resolution. This obviously doesn't work well for modes that aren't exact multiples of the TFT screen, because there's no such thing as fractional pixels :)

colonelz:
I switched to widescreen about a year ago. Before i used two 19" displays and was happy with them. The switch was also an upgrade in size to 24" and made a huge positive impact for some programs. Eclipse, Photoshop and some of my 3D programs profit really from that step ahead. If you ever worked with your favourite IDE on a big sized widescreen, you will never go back ( this does not apply to VI  :) ). And as mentioned before: Only the native resolution assures crystal clear quality.

For habit reasons i also wanted to attach one of the previously used 19" but that wasn't as easy as i thought. It was not possible to attach both LCD's to one graphics card, because it cannot support 1920x1200 and 1280x1024 at the same time. The memory of the card with 768MB shouldn't be the problem, it must be a specification side effect. :huh: Therefore i had to upgrade to a second graphics card. Now i have two nVidia cards inside the PC, one for each monitor and doing their job without a hassle.

f0dder:
colonelz: hmm, a single card couldn't drive two monitors at once? :-s - perhaps it's something sneaky like using a single DVI controller to drive both outputs? There's also some stuff with single-link vs. dual-link wrt. DVI connections, but that only seems to be relevant to very high resolutions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version