ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

about to switch to a Widescreen LCD.

(1/6) > >>

PaladinMJ:
My brother in law gave me a Mag LT1919wdb LCD monitor. It will be replacing an HP Pavilion MX703 Now I have never used or even looked at LCD's beyond noticing that CRT seemed to give a better picture.

What can I expect? will things run ok being on a widescreen? should I spring for the DVI cable as it seems LCD's are better with them but don't include them. The LCD will be driven by my PNY Nvidia 8500 GT 512 meg video card. I would run dual monitors but theres no way on my desk its tiny, and theres no where else to move my set up to or even a bigger desk.

Eóin:
I use a widescreen and am very happy with it. Mine is powered by a similar GeForce and the drivers have a nice feature where by games which don't support a widescreen aspect ratio can be set to display at the correct aspect ratio centered on the screen. Of you you can let them be stretched across the entire screen too but I prefer to keep the aspect ratios as they should be.

PaladinMJ:
oh hell never even thought about games stretching! that is good to hear. Now I seem to recall a grid type program discussed on here that let you chop up regions of the screen. i will have to search that out. :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
I have a 22" or 24" (I forget which now) at home and I find that things are often stretched a bit. It's not a bother though. In some instances, it's actually quite nice (text is good like this -- easier to read).

However, I was lazy and didn't do my research as well as I could have. The one I have (Zeus5000) sometimes blurs a tad for some resolutions and font sizes. I could have spent another $200 or so and gotten a better one.  Still, it's better than either of the monitors I use at the office.

My CRT is on my Linux box now. CRTs are superior, but unless you really need to work with color (like a designer), I don't see any reason that an LCD won't satisfy you.

Another thing --- I gained a LOT of desk space. Now my mess is spread out even more! :D

nosh:
They're awesome for movies though!  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version