ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is my computer hiccuping every 60 seconds?

(1/2) > >>

superboyac:
Recently, my computer has started "hiccuping" every 60 seconds (at the :45 of the minutes:second on the clock).  How can I find out the problem?  At first I thought my cpu was being overloaded by my mp3 player (foobar) because sometimes it reaches 20-30% cpu, but it's not that.  And when the time comes, everything stops on the computer for a split second, not just the audio.  Like, I'm typing right now, and it will just stop on one of the letters for a split second and then a bunch of the letters that I just typed during the pause will avalanche across.
There must be a service or something that's checking something every 60 seconds, but I can't figure out what it is.

mouser:
i had this kind of thing before and it's infuriating.

first step would be exiting all normal programs and see if that eliminates it.

if you don't have luck finding it i would uninstall completely my antivirus, and then firewall
and see if that solves it.

PPLandry:
Does even your mouse refuse to move during that short time? I had this for months. Sporadically, for a couple hours a day, every 10 sec, the HD would be active for a short time and the mouse would lock.

Trying to move, point, click was very difficult. I never really found a fix, it simply went away (I think, I did fiddle with numerous settings, but I don't recall it having an effect)

If it just started, you can try to go back to a previous system restore point. I seem to recall that this sometimes fixed it (for a while anyway)

Good luck...

cmpm:
You could check your event logs in 'administrative tools' in 'control panel'.

See if anything is getting recorded every minute.

superboyac:
It was Spysweeper.

I installed it from the free thing I read here on DC a couple of weeks ago, and that's when it started.  I remembered that it was the most recent software I installed, and I noticed a spysweeper exe file running in my task manager even when spysweeper was shut down.  I tried deactivating all the "shield" options, but it didn't help.  So, I uninstalled it and everything is fine now.

Why does spysweeper need to have a service running constantly and what is it checking for every 60 seconds?  Nonsense.  It should just run when i need to clean my pc.  Oh well, good riddance.  I've read it's a great program, however.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version