topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: bigger screen area than monitor size - with quick scroll features  (Read 54468 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: bigger screen area than monitor size - with quick scroll features
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2008, 04:36 PM »
Sorry i haven't updated, i haven't been home recently.
The name i chose is just a working name, so that it wouldn't be unnamed. You are free to find something better. Actually, please do ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2008, 05:18 PM »
no rush. just very glad you can work on it whenever you can.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2008, 03:45 AM »
here's another feature suggestion - maybe a good idea - maybe not.

as the program involves moving your windows around into a satisfactory layout before you start using the 'giant screen', it would be helpful to make moving an individual window quicker/easier to position.

what i mean is that although you can quite easily move a single window in the usual manner by dragging the title bar - it would be easier if you could drag a window by dragging it from anywhere within its own window - NOT just the title bar.

i've seen this done with utils before, i.e. you hold a key down and then just click and drag within the window and then the window moves just like you had dragged it using the title bar.

i think being able to do this would make the positioning of the windows on the 'grid' a lot easier. you could easily adjust the position of windows that were only slightly visible on screen without having to drag everything over to see the window titlebar.

(a key combo like win + alt + mouse click could be used to invoke the function.)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 12:01 PM »
Is there any way this .ahk can be compiled to an .exe for those of us crazy enough not to have AHK installed?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 12:04 PM »
I'm sorry for still not having updated this, i hope to do it soon.

Deozaan: the reason why i didn't add a compiled version is because this is highly experimental material :)
I added it now ;)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Thanks jgpaiva! Well I just tried it out on my dual monitor setup. It really messed things up!

When I first started it up, all my windows moved off my 2nd monitor onto my primary monitor. Then when I would drag a window back onto the second monitor using the standard windows drag method (not DragScreen), it would jump around from where I let go of it.

So then I decided just to try out the DragScreen by holding the Windows key. It worked, but my windows were still in screwy positions from when I first started it. Also, I'm using UltraMon and I have a task bar on my second monitor. The task bar got moved to the primary monitor (upon first starting it up) and it was included in all the windows being dragged around.

Okay I just played around with it a little more. It seems to move all my windows to the left (I'm guessing) about 768 pixels. My current resolution on both monitors is 1280x1024 and it's not quite a full screen move to the left. So then I tried to drag Firefox back into its correct position on my second monitor and when I let go of the mouse button it jumped a couple hundred pixels to the left of where I dropped it. After that all windows seemed to drag normally. Please note that as of this point in the process I have not tried using DragScreen's features. I've just dragging windows normally, one at a time.

Once I get past that weird part, including the fact that my "taskbar" on my second monitor gets dragged around, and I start dragging everything around the screen and off the screen, this ahk seems to work really well.

I remember in the post you mentioned to nudone how to check for window class to be added/removed from the exceptions. I'll read over that again and report back on the UltraMon taskbar so it can be added to exceptions so it won't move around.

UltraMonTaskBarSpy.png

So, to do the window spy thingy I had to install AHK. So now the compiled version isn't necessary for me. Ha!  :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:44 PM by Deozaan »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2008, 12:48 PM »
LoL Deozaan.. I just tested it. Yeah, there's no support for mutiple screens currently, as you may have noticed. If you keep everything on the main screen, it'll work "as advertised".

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2008, 12:02 AM »
I found a blog post today that is worth mentioning...about an application called 360desktop.

Have you ever wished you could have a huge monitor but aren’t willing to fork over the cash to get it just yet? Well, 360desktop may have provided the perfect alternative for you. Basically 360desktop gives you almost unlimited desktop space on your computer by extending the size of the desktop itself via a scrolling panoramic view. Thus now you can have an almost unlimited number of multiple windows open and you are no longer simply limited to the size of your monitor to do so.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2008, 01:30 AM »
interesting.

i've tried 360desktop. uninstalled after about 1 minute. i'm sure it works on the majority of machines but on mine it 'smears' the desktop icons when scrolling the screen. in other words, totally useless.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2008, 04:41 AM »
I've seen this implemented in something as old as redhat 5 (with some simple windows manager). It seems it's trivial to do in X-windows.

Not that it's very helpful to the discussion :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2008, 07:48 PM »
Just tried 360Desktop.

There's an option to keep it from moving your desktop icons off the screen which might solve nudone's problem, but I haven't yet figured out how to disable the stupid panoramic background images that it decides for me to put on my computer.

I also didn't like how it didn't ask me where to install it. I just agreed to the terms and it automatically installed everything by itself, taunting me the whole time by saying "Now installing with the options you selected."

I used it for a couple of minutes but I think it's going to be uninstalled now too.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2008, 12:32 AM »
I found 360Desktop last night from my Download.com newsletter - downloaded, installed, ran for about 90 seconds, uninstalled.

The term "360" usually refers to [360] degrees - I was looking forward to an actual 3D desktop (inside a globe, if you will), not just a long repeating strip. IMO if you have to go to the top of the monitor, find the tab thing, then drag the slider along till you find your window, it is much less counter productive than 2 virtual desktops (ex Linux) with hotkey activation, or just forking the cash for a monitor/TV. And I second the horrible wallpaper, the lack of "where do you want to install to?", and the use of IE for widgets/other items.

:down: Not for me