ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

bigger screen area than monitor size - with quick scroll features

<< < (2/13) > >>

nudone:
sounds great. i look forward to seeing the result.

your solution for just having the windows move around isn't such a bad thing. it might not look as nice as having the whole desktop scroll but there is probably little point in having a real desktop other than it would look nice.

i'm sure you could easily bring lost windows back onto screen with a hotkey or something.

however it works the main feature is the dragging idea - so it's nice to move things about and it feels intuitive to use. anything else would be a bonus.

(i just tried WinScroll also. i can see why i never used it. well, on this occasion it is completely unusable - i know it kind of worked last time i tried it but now the scroll bar is in the wrong place on screen and the other features don't work.)

jgpaiva:
Oh man, i think you'll love this one! :)

This is just a mockup, to see if ahk could support it. Apparently, it works pretty well.

Just press F8 and move the mouse. Press F8 again to stop ;)

unless you have gridmove or something else that allows you to move windows through keyboard installed, i don't recommend you try this software! :)
[edit]
updated: move with ctrl+lbutton. Makes things way cooler :D
updated: added screen contraints: the virtual screen is now 9 times larger than the "real" screen. (think like this: middle one, and 8 around it). Can be customized to something else.
updated: added "keep active window on screen" feature. Works like this: when you alt+tab/select a window that isn't completelly on screen, it moves there. If you have just moved, it waits 5 seconds for you to focus another window and then it'll move the screen back to the focused window (which might be offscreen).
updated: fixed an error in "keep active window on screen"
updated: removed the "anoyingness" of the "keep active(etc)" feature
updated: added "jump one screen" feature
updated: removed "jump one screen" "feature", was driving me nuts. Added "multiplier" feature
updated: it doesn't ignore the taskbar placement anymore
updated: added the "move the screen but keep the window under the mouse in place" feature. just press windows key and drag with the right mouse button. This is a very useful feature for moving windows around.

nudone:
excellent. it does just as you'd expect. it updates at a pretty decent rate also.

now i've seen it in action it's not too hard to imagine it working simply in a horizontal drag direction. like turning your head side to side (or eyes moving left and right) if you have a multi monitor setup. it would be nice to have a toggle feature to restrict vertical/horizontal movement. but really, what i'm getting at now is that it could perhaps feel smoother if the directions could be constrained (as a user option). this would also make things line up and look nicer as you move them about.

i noticed that kmplayer didn't move whilst video was playing and when it was paused. i wonder if this is because it uses a skin or if it's using video.

jgpaiva:
Ok, i just updated it so that it now uses ctrl+Lbutton drag, it's way more intuitive.

About kmplayer: that program might be in the exceptions (which i imported directly from gridmove ;) ). Could you please tell me what's its window class?

About restricting it to horizontal/vertical movement... I think that makes sense and shouldn't be very hard to do. Could you please just play around a bit more with this version to see what comes to mind?

I'm thinking about a few things: Someone talks to you on MSN and the window is out of the screen. What should happen? I think there are 2 options when you move the focus to that window:
- the window is moved to the screen
- the screen is moved to the window

Which one do you think is better?

I'm also thinking this should have some kind of "snap window" to screen when moving, my windows get all chopped of for a few pixels :)

PS: man.. this is a fun idea! How come is it always you who comes up with the best stuff? :P (i believe it's already the second time i say this ;))

nudone:
note: i've posted this before reading your above post.

i know it's early days at the moment but just a note on the hotkey feature. i'm guessing the user will have a choice in selecting which key to use but if that's not possible then it would be good to have something as easy to hit as the spacebar.

as many grahic editing programs use the spacebar already to initiate their drag feature perhaps something equally easy to hit could be used - and something that wouldn't conflict with anything else...

...something like a combination of spacebar + that key in the top left of the keyboard (under the escape key and to the left of '1'). whatever, something that would only work when held down - assuming it is to work like a graphic editor drag function.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version