ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet Explorer doesn't report it is running on Windows ???

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I am using BBC iPlayer which loads in Internet Explorer by default.

The BBC only allow TV programmes to be downloaded to Windows based machines because it uses DRM protected WMV files.

Up until yesterday I had no problems but now every time I load the page to download a show it says:

whereas it should say

At the moment I can use Firefox to access the page but the BBC library module use IE by default (which can't be changed so I have to load the page manually in Firefox) and I am curious as to why IE should suddenly start reporting that I am not using a Windows system ???

As far as I can tell I haven't done anything to change the settings for IE. In fact I have restored them all to default and reset Temp files and unneeded cookies etc.

Dirhael:
Perhaps this guide could be of help to you? If you're running XP just remember that the platform should be "Windows NT 5.1", or if you're on Vista "Windows NT 6.0", instead of 5.0 :)

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for the suggestion - apparently a number of people have reported this problem to the BBC and it seems to be related to automatic updates from patch Tuesday !!

Thanks MS !!

My 'Platform' key isn't set, however, so I will give it a try.

Carol Haynes:
Nope that didn't do it ...

I also decided to check Windows Update History so I went to Windows Update webpage and this is what I get ...

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems only.
To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

--- End quote ---

Is this a subtle hint that they are replacing windows with OS X ?

Dirhael:
Thanks for the suggestion - apparently a number of people have reported this problem to the BBC and it seems to be related to automatic updates from patch Tuesday !!

Thanks MS !!

My 'Platform' key isn't set, however, so I will give it a try.
-Carol Haynes (February 13, 2008, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not set on my system either, but I thought it could be worth a try. Oh and also, you could try visiting whatismyuseragent.com to see what your browser actually reports. It won't solve anything, but knowing what information gets sent about your user agent should at least let you know if the problem is on your side or not :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version