topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Extended Download Protection Plans? A waste of money?  (Read 16417 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Extended Download Protection Plans? A waste of money?
« on: October 28, 2007, 05:06 PM »
I just noticed in my latest splurge of purchasing software for my palm pilot, that most of these programs offer a service which allows you download protection. Essentially, they store the product you purchase so you can download it up to twelve months later. Am I the only one that finds this service to be totally and completely worthless? I mean, they charge anywhere from two to fifteen dollars additional for this "protection". Is there ever a need for such a service? I really don't see it.

Someone, please, help me understand.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 05:08 PM by Josh »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Extended Download Protection Plans? A waste of money?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Another outrageous scam targeted at people who don't know any better.
I would avoid purchasing anything from such companies if at all possible.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:20 PM »
I am still trying to think of a situation in which this would be useful. About the ONLY WAY I could see this being useful is if the company goes defunct (ala GemX) and stops offering the download.

I wish these scams would be publicly denounced so people could be educated and aware of such BS.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:29 PM »
This is the "sucker" option. I'm wondering who actually ever buys this. Like when you buy a TV and the cashier asks, "Would you like to buy 3-year extended warranty today?" ....No, if it doesn't work, you'll exchange it, right? Right?

I thought so.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:40 PM »
An extended warranty for a TV I can understand. It saved my father over 2 grand with two failed tubes in his old big screen. I purchased a similar one for my LCD which covers a failed LCD through normal wear and tear.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 06:53 PM »
Yeah... I've bought extended warranties on my last three notebooks. Each extended warranty has paid for itself - first notebook got a new motherboard at 15 months old, second got a new motherboard, harddrive, and AC converter at 27 months old and the third is in getting a new cooling unit at 22 months old.

Extended download protection, though? Criminal rip off. I've actually argued and received refunds for this on those occasions when I've accidentally failed to clear the checkbox offering me this "service" (don't get me started about the kind of servicing that I think this actually represents - there are children present!), but I wouldn't bet my lunch money that every vendor is going to be so quick to do so.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 07:58 PM »
Like most people, my extended download protection is a home-made CD with pertinent registration information -- so, no thanks!

Extended warranties are trickier. Generally, if I can buy something locally, easily, and for under $100 I wouldn't even contemplate a warranty.

I'm also reluctant to buy them for more expensive items. Most places from which I buy will replace something during the first year anyway. For some items that are known to be risky (a good example pointed out by Darwin is a laptop machine) then I might buy one.

The decision depends to some extent on just who is offering the warranty. It also depends on how convenient that warranty is to execute. An over-the-counter exchange is more likely to get my money than shipping something into the wide blue yonder. I tend to want (or need) a replacement RIGHT NOW for stuff that breaks down. It won't help me to get a by-then-redundant item at some point after I've run out and bought another.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 05:46 PM »
I think I'm with the majority here... extended download protection = ripoff.  Extended warranties- it depends on the type and the item.  At one point I was getting them if they were replacement plans on medium end items, figuring I could always go back towards the end of the warranty... but I never did.  So now I only get the warranties on expensive items, which usually aren't replacement.

tide

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 12:55 AM »
The only reason to get "download protection" would be if you change computers and/or didn't save a backup copy of the product for reinstallation.

If the vendor is actively developing the product then the image of the product exists on the distributor's computer and their only cost is typically a few seconds of bandwidth whose cost comes nowhere close to what they charge for "download protection."

If the vendor is not actively developing the product then you should be looking for an alternative product anyway and, thus, "downoad protection" is unwarranted.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 02:42 PM »
One time that download protection could have been useful (though I didn't purchase it and luckily the company was kind enough to help me out)...

I purchased a program quite a while back for my old XP machine from Raxco (http://www.raxco.com).  For an additional price, I could have added extended support, download, and upgrade protection (for major updates).  During the time I was using it, a few minor updates came out for new functionality and bug fixes.  An update came down the pipe at one point that made the software Vista compatible.  Eventually, Raxco stopped selling the program, and stated that they would provide support for any users who had purchased the extended support, upgrade, and download service.  Fast forward a few months, and I bought a new PC with Vista.  The original installer that I had archived for the program would not install at all under Vista.  The upgrades, including the Vista compatible version, I had downloaded were not standalone installers.  If I had the extended support and download protection, I would have been able to log into the site and download a Vista compatible installer without a hitch.  Fortunately, the vendor has exceptional customer service, and when I contacted them to ask if there was any way they could help me out, they immediately provided me with a link to download a compatible installer.  They also offered to provide any customer support I would need to get the program up and running on Vista.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Raxco, nor do I receive any compensation for any sales that this post generates.  I am simply one of their customers who has been consistently impressed with their professionalism and customer support.

Carl

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 06:06 AM »
Not so sure that I'd say it's a rip off, but...

I have some Rhino Software licenses. I can login to the Rhino site and download the old version where my upgrade insurance expired. Very nice touch and shows that they "get it" when it comes to customer service.

Then again, it may make sense for some people to try and compete on price, but gain additional revenue through "protection" plans. It's just shifting the revenue model somewhat. I don't think it's a very good direction to go in, but I can understand why some might do it. It sends a "customer service" red flag up for me.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker