topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: KVM switch w/DVI?  (Read 5700 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
KVM switch w/DVI?
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:19 PM »
With my new computer, for some reason the PS/2 keyboard I have go all screwy when used through my 2-computer EDiMAX KVM. Not that bad, I thought, since I actually prefer two physical keyboards, and only use the KVM for switching one of my monitors.

Unfortunately, the KVM switch is powered by, you guessed it, PS/2 ports. Both my new main box and my testbox only has one PS/2 port (for keyboard), and both act screwy if the keyboard is attached through the KVM. So, I can't use my old KVM anymore, and no it has no plug for AC power, and no I don't feel like soldering up something myself :)

Also, since the KVM uses standard VGA/D-SUB (analog) connection, the image on the monitor was a bit fuzzy. So I'm looking for a KVM with DVI support (digital, so there should be no fuzz) supporting two computers at at least 1280x1024@70Hz - audio, usb, keyboard, mouse etc. isn't that important, as I only really need the video switched over.

What are my options? And are DVI capable KVMs so expensive that I might as well buy a new TFT for the testbox? :)
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: KVM switch w/DVI?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Well, time ago I read about this Belkin unit, but according to the comments, it seems like a hit or miss device.

No much knowledge about KVM switches, but the DVI-capable ones were always considered as expensive. Heck, considering the price of a TFT these days, even if the Belkin device works as intended, you're not saving much money.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:22 PM by Lashiec »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:08 AM »
Yeah, the only DVI capable KVM I found at the shop I usually use was a Belkin, and at that price I might as well get a new DVI 19" TFT, and use that + my DVI 17" for my main box, and the analog 17" TFT for the testbox - only slightly more expensive.

A KVM would save some desk space, though...
- carpe noctem

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:53 AM »
I don't know how useful this is since you're in Europe, but newegg.com has DVI KVMs starting at $75.  How well they work I have no idea.

Another thing you might consider since you don't care too much about the inputs being switched - only the display - is getting a monitor that has multiple inputs.  One of our machines has a Sony LCD that has multiple inputs and lets you switch between them using the monitor's OSD menu.  It's common for a monitor to have both DVI and Analog VGA inputs, so if you can live with one of your machines using an analog input that might be a good option.  Maybe use Remote Desktop or VNC to get a digital display for it for normal use (as long as you're not doing something like games or video on it), and only use the analog display for boot time stuff and other times that remote access won't work or is not appropriate.

These HP models have 2 DVI inputs:  LP1965 (19 inch display), LP2065 (20 inch display) so they might be worth looking into if they're big enough.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 06:43 PM »
mwb1100: the multi-input idea is pretty brilliant, I would've never thought of that myself! :-[ - do you know what the really embarrassing part is? My primary monitor has both DVI and D-SUB :-[. Obviously I don't have a detachable D-SUB cable lying around, but I think I have one at my mum's place.

The OSD menu is slightly inconvenient to navigate, but considering the desk space and money I can save... too bad there's no excuse for rushing out and getting a 19" TFT then ;). Lemme see if I have some DonatioI can send your way :^)

PS: I'm still interested in suggestions for DVI switchboxes.

EDIT: am I stupid or what? :P - the switchbox cables obviously worked just fine for connecting the analog input of my primary monitor to the testbox! :up: - the monitor OSD is a bit annoying to use, but at that price... :P
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:03 AM by f0dder »

wnitzan

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:05 AM »
I've been using an

Avocent 2SVDVI10-001

DVI/USB KVM for a few months now.

It's working great for both 1600x1200 display and USB peripherals, but it's relatively expensive.
If you buy it, read the first review on newegg.com for how to use it correctly.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Hm, it's reviews on newegg don't sound too promising:
Unstable, mouse and keyboard frequently drop, DVI won't work when attached to my docking station
Keyboard suddently started repeating wildly. Had to shut down the unit by disconnecting the power supply, disconnecting the USB cables from both computers, and shutting down both computers.
Called the company, asked if the KVM was fully Dual-Link DVI (i.e. large resolutions 1920x1600 or larger). Company said fully compliant. Hooked it up, and although the connectors are Dual Link, the internals are Single Link.

...I think I'll pass, for now. But thanks for pointing me at it anyway, I'll probably go for a DVI KVM eventually, as it is somewhat annoying having to do 8 button presses to switch my monitor between the analog and digital inputs...
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 06:56 PM »
8 button presses? I only have to do 3 :D

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 06:58 PM »
8 button presses? I only have to do 3 :D
Wish my monitor was that user friendly :)

Hm, one of my monitors (can't remember if it's the older analog-only or my primary one) has an USB connection and can be controlled via software... perhaps I should look into that a bit more.
- carpe noctem