ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PHP IDE recommendations

<< < (2/6) > >>

tinjaw:
My suggestion is to first run the code through a code beautifier or pretty printer to get it formatted to your liking. Then using any of the IDEs mentioned, you should be able to fold code, jump to definitions, get an outline/treeview, etc.

Also, if you don't already have one, get a dual-monitor setup. The #1 tool for reading somebody else's code is screen real estate. Spread it out before you.

jazper:
This is a commercial IDE for PHP:

Delphi for PHP
http://www.codegear.com/products/delphi/php

urlwolf:
Thanks tinjaw. Good idea.
I ended up using easyEclipse.
One free editor (looks really good with plugins) that does sane wrapping is Jedit. Unfortunately it cannot jump to a function definition (other than that, it's great).

First time looking at PHP. It does look like spagetti code.

@jasper: I've found mixed reviews on Delphi for Php. It sounds great on paper, but it looks like the code it genrates is so-so (and often broken). The reviews are early 2007 so this might have changed.

Dr-Leech:
Not an IDE but I'm using EditPlus from long time ago and it's great. Kinda outdated lately but it's enough for my coding needs.

urlwolf:
Looks like hard wrap keeping indentation is not something IDEs nor editors do very well. Even Jedit, which does soft wrap fine, fails at hard wrap!

I'm stuck here because the PHPcodeBeautifier I found (by the PHPedit people) doesn't offer any wrapping options.

I remember an arcane unix command to format text witdth (used en-masse for email). Maybe I could use that?

I'm wasting a lot of time on this. It's surprising. I thought I'd find a good solution soon because it's a common problem... but nope!

Anyone knows a general tool that does hard wrapping?
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version