topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Idea : change dates in quicken  (Read 6354 times)

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Idea : change dates in quicken
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:06 PM »
Hi Coders,

I need a simple code for my Quicken program.
When I download statements from my bank the entries are in 00/00/2008 date format.
To get things in order within the quicken program I have change the date format to 00/00/08.
This is simple to do two taps on the forward slash key on the numpad bypasses the dd/mm/and all i have to do is enter 08 and hit the enter key to complete the action.
Quicken automatically focusses back to dd on the next transaction and i repeat it all again.
Very repetitive after a couple of hundred transactions.
If some could could code those actions I would be grateful
to summarize

initial start on focus (which will be the day date ) two forward slashes to bypass the dd mm (leaving those dates unchanged) then entering 08 into the year date : then action enter to complete the transaction
Then repeat the the series again till the finish.
Quicken doesn’t allow you to carry on filling in dates as above(only on existing transactions) so the code could finish when there are no more transactions to change.

nogojoe
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea : change dates in quicken
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:54 AM »
 :) If you can get it done by keyboard, AutoHotkey can do it for you.

Have a look at the Send command in the documentation at http://www.autohotkey.com.

Skrommel

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:02 AM »
:) If you can get it done by keyboard, AutoHotkey can do it for you.

Have a look at the Send command in the documentation at http://www.autohotkey.com.

Skrommel

Hi Skrommel

I have downloaded autohotkey and have got to the stage of it working using the AutoScriptWriter.exe

there were a few hiccups along the way however I can get what I want done by as you say by the Send command
If I open the quicken account and get the focus onto where I want to start I can get it to work Ok (quicken automatically inserts the current date in the 1st empty transaction available which is a bit of a nuisance )

this is the tailend of the script

Send, //08{ENTER}

You couldn’t tell me how to get it to repeat that command until all the transactions are completed.
I have it going alright using AutoScriptWriter script over 3 or 4 transactions but I need it to do 200 odd transactions every month.

Thanks nogojoe

Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:23 AM »
 :) Another soul saved from the hells of repetition!

I don't know Quicken, but put generally the script should look like this:

The commands to use: WinWait, WinActivate, WinWaitActive, Send, Loop, Break, Goto.

Startup: Set up the program, load the files, go to the right place.
Looping: Use Loop to repeat the core actions. When you reach the end, there's got to be some detectable change, like a changing titlebar or statusbar, the data fileld is empty, or something, and then you use Break to quit the loop. Goto does the same thing.
Ending: Clean up.

There's no ends to what can be done with AutoHotkey.

I once transferred a customer's old DOS-based database to a new Windows based one by copying and pasting field by field, saving him (or me) weeks of work! It only people knew...

Skrommel
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:28 AM by skrommel »

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:50 PM »
:) Another soul saved from the hells of repetition!

Skrommel

Did run into some problems with trying to automate the whole list of transactions to change.
had problems with to many transactions being acted on in a row and to quickly causing quicken not to register the transaction .tried to slow the process down by putting in sleep between transactions but that helped a little. The process seemed to fail on the dd/mm/ and I needed to slow that down. I’m not up to speed yet to work out that part.Will work on it and will have to study up things (trying to understand the ahk.help is the hardest)however trial and error is a good thing.

However have found that it maybe easier to tackle the downloaded transactions before I import them into quicken.
It becomes a matter of search and replace without upsetting the the quicken account files.
Has worked OK doing it that way. Just a matter of loading the file into word and find and replace .
Would be a bit of a bummer if there was a transaction with $2008 in it and it got changed to $08.
Just have to watch what I am doing

Of course as Skrommel would say there is a way to do it with AutoHotkey. :D

nogojoe