topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Post your FARR v2 Plugin Idea Requests Here - Plugin Writers Read In  (Read 251914 times)

dinesh_ms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Post your FARR v2 Plugin Idea Requests Here - Plugin Writers Read In
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2009, 03:24 AM »
I'm not sure what the deal is w/ the registry storage locations for PuTTY (i.e. HKEY_CURRENT_USER vs HKEY_USERS and SID) -- perhaps it's just my poor understanding of Windows :)

If there is interest, I might put together a preliminary release for testing.

@ewemoa, both the locations you mentioned are the same, HKEY_CURRENT_USER is a virtual one which maps to the HKEY_USERS\<SID> with respect to the current user who is accessing the registry, so ideally you should be picking it up from HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which would make the settings user specific and you dont have to worry about the SID.

Also being a Putty User myself even i am interested in testing out the plugin, until now i have been using some aliases for FARR integration with Putty

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2009, 06:57 AM »
For those interested in a PuTTY plugin, you can see what has me stalled in this thread.

dinesh_ms, thanks for the registry-related tip -- I think in the most recent code that I worked on (it's been a while), I ended up doing something that seems in line with your tip (but I don't remember at this point).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:03 PM by ewemoa »

thancock20

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would love to see a plugin that connects FARR with the GMarks extension for Firefox.  I use the quick bookmark search feature all the time, but often find myself hitting the FARR hotkey first by accident :D.  So I thought that a plugin interfacing FARR with the quick bookmark search in GMarks would be great. I could pull up FARR, type GM[space] and then use it like I would GMarks.  If I was better at coding I would try it myself. :(

Ric0la

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi

Just added my thoughts on putty and other launches:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=16498.0

Volunteers?  :D

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would love to see a plugin that connects FARR with the GMarks extension for Firefox. 
Yes, that would be nice. See this thread for some related discussion
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=16942.0

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd love to see a plugin that searches the Linkman database. It's easy to pop up the Linkman search dialog, but integrating it into FARR would be even easier. Maybe the FarrFox plugin could be updated to also search Linkman?

shmidman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #281 on: August 23, 2009, 08:44 AM »
I'd like to suggest two interrelated ideas for plugins, both relating to the use of FARR to bring currently running windows/applications to the foreground.

1] Using FARR as an alternative to alt-tab to selecte a currently running window/app
With FARR installed on my machine I find that it is much much easier to run a new program than to find one which is already running! Running a new program with FARR takes only milliseconds, but searching the couple of dozen icons in my taskbar for the one I want takes far longer. Cycling through the alt-tab list is even more laborious, because all microsoft office documents receive their own little icon on the alt-tab list, and since I regularly have 30-40 docs open in Word at a given time, it is nearly impossible to find the one I want!
I'd like FARR to first try to match my input to one of the currently running applications or open windows (I suppose it would be best to first try to match the window caption of an open window, and if not, to try to match to a process name among the running processes).
I would further be interested in the option of limiting FARR to match windows of one specific process. For instance, this would allow me to create a hotkey to launch FARR and to use it specifically to locate one of my open Microsoft Word documents.

2] My second request is for FARR to provide the user with a single-stop option to either switch to a given app if it is running, or if not, to run the application.
Often I find that I want to use a given app (say, calc.exe), but I don't know whether I am running the app or not. Searching through alt-tab or the taskbar is laborious, as noted above, so in these cases I usually just run another instance of the given program with FARR. However, this creates clutter on the machine, and not all apps do a good job running multiple instances. Thus, it would be ideal if I could configure FARR such that after selecting an application to run, FARR would first check to see whether the application is already running, and if so, FARR would give me the option (via a single keypress) to decide whether to launch a new one or whether to just bring the current one to the foreground.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #282 on: September 09, 2009, 10:41 PM »
I here by request for a Twitter plugin, one that would show the number of characters left as a tweet (message/update) is being typed.

There's a limit of 140 characters per tweet imposed by Twitter.

Additionally if the plugin can provide URL shortening (auto shortening as an option), that would be great!

Here is a thread on Twitter alias to anyone who might want to take this up as it can perhaps be used as a starting point.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2009, 08:56 PM »
it'd be nice if the twitter plugin could also do the following:
• show last few updates of a user.
• follow users via the plugin interface

Werizon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It would be great if someone could build plugin to search in Read it Later saved sites
http://readitlaterlist.com/
i mean with better search algorithm
http://www.ideashowe...something/#post-8566

thancock20

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ I think this would be very doable (for an experienced coder), since Read It Later has an API

Jabberwock

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Was/is there a unit converter plugin for FARR or am I imagining things?

If there is not, I suggest one... I suppose it could work similarly to FCalc (which I absolutely love!), i.e. you type in:
convert 5 meters to inches
and you see the result in the results pane.
Unit autocompletion would be nice.

Wait... just had an idea - type in just "convert 5 meters" and 10 most frequently used conversions (from meters, of course) show up automatically!

Edit: Just found this:
http://units.sourceforge.net/

I am not sure how usable it could be for a plugin...

y0uri

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #287 on: February 24, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Here's my suggestion for a plugin. I've used the search and cannot find anything like this: a plugin to search the Windows registry.

It could work something like this:
reg <keywords>
reg hkcr <keywords>
reg hklm <keywords>
reg hku <keywords>
reg hkcc <keywords>

ie. either search all of registry, or specified branch (hkey_classes_root, hkey_current_user, hkey_local_machine, hkey_users, hkey_current_config)

It could display keys like FARR currently does folders and values like FARR does files, with the value type if possible (reg_sz, reg_binary, reg_dword, reg_qword, reg_expand_sz, reg_multi_sz).

Selecting a search result would open regedit.exe and jump to the selected key/value. I've used registry searchers in the past that did this, but wouldn't it be cool if you could do this from FARR?  8)

Thanks for reading.

aksx

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2011, 01:31 AM »
i have a suggestion.
can a plugin be made to kill processes eg.
kill explorer.exe
or using the title of the window
kill $title$="Notepad"
for the first taskkill /f %exename% can be use but for the second winApi must be used

thankx

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #289 on: April 06, 2011, 03:01 AM »
I just gave Keybreeze a try and came running back to FARR! Having said that though, it has a nice feature. Typing keyword "note" allows you to create a post-it style desktop note. I know FARR has addnote/viewnote, but this desktop sticky note is pretty cool.
I second that, I am finding I am using keybreeze just for this reason.
I also think that if you could integrate FARR with a simple app (one small .exe) like Diana, which is a very small and simple calendar/with memo feature that would me great.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #290 on: April 06, 2011, 06:33 AM »
there is an excellent note plugin for farr called hamnotes.

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #291 on: April 07, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Never got the hang of it, all those arguments \q \a  etc to write a simple note   just confusing for a dumbass like me.
Also sticky notes is what i really  like, and the one with keybreeze is awesome, with its timers etc.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:39 AM by delwoode, Reason: extra added »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #292 on: April 07, 2011, 07:40 AM »
if one of these stickies programs has a commandline callable interface to add notes, someone could easily make a farr alias to add sticky notes to it.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #293 on: April 07, 2011, 03:46 PM »
I was thinking about making a FARR plugin for Stickies for a while but came to the conclusion that there's not enough benefit of having one. If you want notes in FARR I guess hamnotes is as good as it gets. If not, Stickies offers global keyboard shortcuts and much more. Don't know if it has timers though.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #294 on: April 26, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Although I haven't used the following:

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/

it appears there is an API (Windows Messages) for getting it to do various things:

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/api/

There also appear to be various utilities for working with it -- on first glance it looks like there may be some kind of command line interfacing mentioned too:

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/tools.html

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #295 on: April 27, 2011, 02:20 AM »
Although I haven't used the following:

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/

it appears there is an API (Windows Messages) for getting it to do various things:

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/api/

There also appear to be various utilities for working with it -- on first glance it looks like there may be some kind of command line interfacing mentioned too:

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/tools.html

Yep, that's the one I was talking about.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #296 on: April 27, 2011, 02:28 AM »
lol...silly me to not have examined your posting closely enough :)

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
is there a  password manager plugin?  I use FARR for going to web sites but some require a password and it would be great if FARR could also bring up a window with you passwords in for your favourite sites.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:05 AM by delwoode »

skjwh

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
I would like to post a request for Chinese users, maybe even for most Asian language users, which is to allow using pinyin/brief-pinyin to search items(for me, mostly shortcuts).
Pinyin is the Mandarin pronunciation of Chinese Character, for more info: http://www.zdic.net/c/cipy/
Reason:
We have lots of apps and documents in Chinese title, which makes it inconvient to locate items using English words. e.g. an IM app called "腾讯QQ" ( Tencent QQ ) or even all Chinese "为知笔记" (Wiz Note), now we have to call out Chinese Input Method first, enter pinyin and find the right character. (one single pinyin can have one-to-many relationship with character).
My idea is to use pinyin or the brief form of pinyin (the first letter/part of each pinyin) to locate items directly.
e.g. shortcut 腾讯QQ (Pinyin form: Teng Xun QQ), can enter "tengxunqq"  or brief form "txqq" to find.
To achieve this,all the items with Chinese characters  to be searched need translate to pinyin form and brief-pinyin form.  I think a new translation mechanisim needed.