topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How can a RAM module suddenly go *%$!?!#<!!  (Read 4154 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How can a RAM module suddenly go *%$!?!#<!!
« on: February 09, 2008, 12:23 AM »
I just had a very bad day. You know, when your computer problems just eat all your time (errrr... yes, it happens way too often)?

I had to successively reinstall 3 images (backups), wipe my drive, check it for defects, etc (NO f0dder... i didn't use spinrite). I thought I got a virus spreading everywhere, things went baaaaad. One document even got corrupted.

Well, after the third image and my system not event booting correctly (registry problems, firewall not even firing, word having not enough memory to start (!!!), etc.), I decided to check my RAM...  :)  Yesterday, it was working perfectly well (BTW it's "new RAM I bought a month ago, cheap, I admit, but it passed all my tests back then...) and today it started to crumble more and more (it seems), and, to finish, i couldn't even run a Dell memory test for 1 sec without an error!!! WTF.

What happened? What could suddenly kill a RAM stick ?? Not a virus, could it??? Bad Mobo?? Personal electromagnetic superpowers??   :huh:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: How can a RAM module suddenly go *%$!?!#<!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 09:48 PM »
Oh man... I feel your pain...  :(

This happens, and usually at the worst times... (I'm facing 2 catastrophic situations like this now...)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:16 PM »
I wish you luck. I hope you'll be able to diagnose the problem quickly... if it's not already done, that is.

In my distress I consider myself lucky... It could've been worse! I still wonder how can a memory module just go sooooo bad after running so well. Heat maybe???

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 11:00 PM »
Kind of related, for hard disks -- if you've got serious problems and need to backup, don't turn off the computer. Spinning back up may destroy disks at some point.

As for my boxes, one's getting replaced, and I still have yet to look at the other one seriously. Probably a bad connection there. Not sure yet though.

The hellish thing -- as I'm sure you've discovered -- is FINDING what the real problem is. Once you've got that, the rest is trivial.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 11:23 PM »
Sounds like you just got a bad stick of RAM. If you bought it that soon ago, it should be under warranty.

I found it odd that you posted this because I too had just such a weekend. Weird computer problems from Friday afternoon until this evening. Weird stuff like a computer that won't restart unless you clear the CMOS every time you shut it down. Must be something misaligned in the cosmos.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 12:17 AM »
I found it odd that you posted this because I too had just such a weekend. Weird computer problems from Friday afternoon until this evening. Weird stuff like a computer that won't restart unless you clear the CMOS every time you shut it down. Must be something misaligned in the cosmos.

I just don't have any more patience for these... But I STILL manage to be obsessive about solving the problems myself. Go figure  :(

Sounds like you just got a bad stick of RAM.

Well, that's for sure! I've never seen a RAM stick be THAT bad (Dell's diagnostic test beeping after 1s). And I will try to get my money back when I... also  recover from a virus -- attacking me and my real body this time...

The hellish thing -- as I'm sure you've discovered -- is FINDING what the real problem is.

Hellish, it sure is...  :(
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:19 AM by Armando »