topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 5:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How would you expand the limits of conversational structure further?  (Read 3081 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hopefully these help to clarify the different contributions made by the three leaders, as well providing a gestalt overview of the most contentious topics (check out all the red challenges links in some topics, such as the economy) and where they were most consensual (check out all the green supports links in the final debate on care for the elderly). A more detailed, reflective analysis would seek to connect claims and assertions to websites with supporting/challenging evidence, other statements made by them, and their manifestos. In addition, we would examine the kinds of arguments made in the text of the nodes, and in the argumentative connections, and possibly explode those into sub-maps, using visual templates of argumentation schemes (see this article on mapping the Iraq debate to how this works).

Note that I started to map from the ITV website’s streaming video, but the connection kept breaking, so I lost contributions, and switched to the TV. But here’s a screenshot showing the opening minutes of the debate, being mapped live, before I switched [zipped QuickTime movie - 10.2Mb].

I constantly talk about Compendium here and I think I made a similar themed topic before but I only recently found out about this video which I felt perfectly highlighted the value of not just supporting the concept but of asking what else can be done to push past the limits of conversational structure?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:43 AM by mouser »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow PK!

I know you've brought us some heavy and thought provoking topics before. But this video is amazing. I've watched it twice and I'm still digesting the the implications of what it's talking about. (I'll probably watch it a few more times too! Thank goodness for FF and the DownloadHelper plugin.)

If anybody's interested in the structure and possibilities of conversation - watch this video.

Thanks for sharing the find!  :Thmbsup:

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All credit goes to the video maker.

To be honest, I think I've tried sharing this idea before but it just becomes a big blob of text.

I don't know how he managed to input those points that fast on Compendium though but this is what I've always seen in Compendium over other mindmappers and argument mappers but I just couldn't communicate it until the timing was right with mouser alerting me of the webfind template and that video appearing on youtube and apparently mouser enabled youtube embeds (or was that always there?)

Unfortunately, the problem is still how to narrow it down further to encourage more of a discussion.

I posted this question on Quora and I had to talk with a staff there on how and why this topic is easy to understand and why it should have this tag or that tag while he feels it's difficult and vague but to cut things short, the bottomline is that this is still a confusing question to ask of many people.

If you're interested in what went through, you could check the comments in this link. (Under the post there should be a comment link that drops down the conversation like in FriendFeed. Currently it should say 11 comments)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:35 AM by Paul Keith »