ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FTP - How do I duplicate / copy remote folder?

<< < (2/3) > >>

allen:
For future reference--

With dreamhost, just make sure your user is set as Shell Account; then just open telnet. (or snag a copy of putty) and connect to your domain using your ftp user/pass combo.

--- ---cp -r foldername copyname

sri:
Poderosa is a better SSH client IMO, has tabs.

I tried using FileZilla, but felt it sucks compared to FlashFXP. I'll give AceFTP a try.

tinjaw:
then just open telnet.-allen (February 08, 2008, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo never use Telnet. It is insecure. Use and SSH connection, and as Allen said, get PuTTY so you can do it (and other SSH-related stuff).

I am going to go one step further and say that you shouldn't be relying on a simple copy for various reasons, to include inefficiency and it is not transactional (i.e. I can fail partially).

I understand there are levels of tackling this type of thing and some of them may be overkill in many (if not most) cases, however... I still suggest you look into using version control. Your Dreamhost account already has subversion. I can elaborate if desired, but the quickie explanation is that you can work on a local copy, commit it in to svn, check it out on the test server, test it, make any changes, commit it to svn, check it out on the production server.

I would make this SOP and create the necessary batch/scipts to support this. You can then just modify the constants to account for changing usernames, passwords, host names, etc.

f0dder:
What tinjaw said.

And please tell me that dreamhost doesn't allow telnet access.

Ampa:
Update...

AceFTP is now annoying me, it continues to pop-up a reminder that I am using the free version (not the Pro version), even though I visited the site, and registered as a user of the free version (not the Pro version), and declined the offer to buy the Pro version (cos I want the free version!).

It also has an in-application advert, permanently reminding me that there is a Pro version... just in case I hadn't got the message by now!

Subversion... OK so maybe I do need to take the plunge and play with the big boys. I asked the Dreamhost super-happy-svn-installing robot to make me a subversion install, which it did (happily). I installed TortoiseSVN on my home machine. I even created an empty SVN repository...

...but now I am stuck (couldn't import my files successfully), lost and faced with a 126 page help file full of long words that I don't really understand.

Anyone have a nice basic guide / tutorial that will get me up and running?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version