ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

fifty, nifty, freefty

(1/3) > >>

housetier:

Jimmy Atkinson has done a great job and found replacements for fifty proprietary yet important programms:

The following fifty proprietary programs are listed in no particular order within broad categories along with their open source alternatives. In some cases you could probably write your own book on frustrations with the proprietary programs shown here. In other cases, you’ll discover that the open source alternative isn’t quite up to snuff yet.-http://whdb.com/2008/the-top-50-proprietary-programs-that-drive-you-crazy-and-their-open-source-alternatives/
--- End quote ---

I found it easy to read, and he seems quite hones.

Short: one should give FOSS a try.

f0dder:
I just wish OpenOffice wasn't so unstable, and FileZilla had a better user interface...

Darwin:
Hmm... interesting list. A bit conventional - or perhaps I should say predictable - though there are some surprises. An interesting read none the less - thanks for sharing this with us, housertier  :Thmbsup:

lanux128:
quite an interesting article. here's another useful resource for hunting down open source alternatives.

• Open Source Freeware : 400+ free applications and utilities

phillfri:
Mathematical: MATLAB <> SciLab?  SciLab can't hold a candle functionwise to MATLAB. The opensource SAGE package is what you want for MATLAB equivalency.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version