topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: fifty, nifty, freefty  (Read 14177 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: fifty, nifty, freefty
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:29 PM »
I just wish OpenOffice wasn't so unstable, and FileZilla had a better user interface...
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:38 PM »
Hmm... interesting list. A bit conventional - or perhaps I should say predictable - though there are some surprises. An interesting read none the less - thanks for sharing this with us, housertier  :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 08:30 PM »
quite an interesting article. here's another useful resource for hunting down open source alternatives.

Open Source Freeware : 400+ free applications and utilities

phillfri

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:15 AM »
Mathematical: MATLAB <> SciLab?  SciLab can't hold a candle functionwise to MATLAB. The opensource SAGE package is what you want for MATLAB equivalency.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:10 PM »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:49 PM »
I am not too sure Mr Atkinson recently updated this list.

Adobe Dreamweaver to NVU: While this tool is a powerful WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) HTML editor, other options exist that can save money. NVU (pronounced N-view, for a “new view”) is a complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver. Use NVU to create Web pages and manage a Website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.
-Atkinson

To my understanding NVU was abandoned 2005. One can say it was replaced by KompoZer, "Nvu's unofficial bug-fix release", but I would expect Mr Atkinson to tell so, if his work had been just a little updated.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 02:09 PM »
I just wish OpenOffice wasn't so unstable, and FileZilla had a better user interface...

Just curious, what FTP client are you using that you feel has a better interface? I'm always looking for a better user experience when I use FTP.

Also, I'm not aware of any significant instabilities in OpenOffice and I use it routinely. Has anybody else experienced this. If so, maybe this would be a good subject for a new thread?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 06:29 AM »
The FTP client interface I've liked best is definitely FlashFXP - pretty clean and elegant. FileZilla is a cluttered mess, too thick borders, et cetera. But I don't use FTP->FTP (aka FXP) and FlashFXP doesn't seem to cope very well with gigabit LAN speeds, and FileZilla is free and does handle gbit pretty well, so...

As for OpenOffice instability, it's spreadsheet often locks up on me for no good reason - and it's not like I'm doing anything complex. Sometimes it'll wake up from the hang, other times I have to kill the process and repair the documents that were open. That has always worked so far, but I obviously lose any unsaved changes.
- carpe noctem

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:31 AM »
I am not too sure Mr Atkinson recently updated this list.

Adobe Dreamweaver to NVU: While this tool is a powerful WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) HTML editor, other options exist that can save money. NVU (pronounced N-view, for a “new view”) is a complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver. Use NVU to create Web pages and manage a Website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.
-Atkinson

To my understanding NVU was abandoned 2005. One can say it was replaced by KompoZer, "Nvu's unofficial bug-fix release", but I would expect Mr Atkinson to tell so, if his work had been just a little updated.
Yep and editing html in dreamweaver is only a fraction of what dreamweaver is capable of.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 11:06 PM »
Again, I apologize for necro-posting. This topic has just recently been included in the DonationCoder Newsletter so I thought I'd put a shout out to people who want a single place for looking for open-source alternatives.

http://www.osalt.com/

As far as I know, this is generally THE site to go to when looking for such applications.

trm2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 11:12 AM »
He should do a little better on his research regarding Kexi - it can't hold a candle to Access and even the Open Office version is better - besides, Open source for Windows has a cost of $72.00 whereas Open Office IS Freeware.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 04:31 PM »
trm2, what open source software costs $72?