ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple download manager?

<< < (2/4) > >>

iphigenie:
Hmm i fell for the blurb that it did support proxies, somewhere in the config files. Maybe it doesnt or maybe it is not well documented, which is the same in the end.

wget is always a good choice, although I am not sure how to use it with a queue - i always just use if straight from the command line. Although I have used it to mirror entire sites so it can certainly do multiple downloads one after the other

rjbull:
Hmm i fell for the blurb that it did support proxies, somewhere in the config files.
-iphigenie (February 08, 2008, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Configuration does have settings for proxies.  It's likely that either it doesn't like proxy.pac files, or, more likely, that it needs authentication - and at work, I don't know the settings for that.  Programs that auto-detect the proxy settings used by Internet Explorer work perfectly well.

wget is always a good choice

--- End quote ---

I struggle with GNU-speak manuals  :(  and may still have the same problem with permissions.

4wd:
I struggle with GNU-speak manuals  :(  and may still have the same problem with permissions.
-rjbull (February 08, 2008, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Doesn't everyone?

AFAICT, if you can run a program, access the net and write files then you shouldn't have a problem with using wget, permission wise.

A bonus is it will read from a file of URLs.

wget --input-file=<file>

Only thing is I believe you'll need to input the proxy manually - could be a problem if you don't know the authentication.

rjbull:
A bonus is it will read from a file of URLs.

wget --input-file=<file>

Only thing is I believe you'll need to input the proxy manually - could be a problem if you don't know the authentication.
-4wd (February 08, 2008, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't.  I suspect that's why I can't get Web Downloader to work.  It lets you enter the proxy, but there's a separate field for authentication.  Yet, programs which auto-detect proxies by using Microsoft Internet Explorer do work; applause for Firefox, K-Meleon, Great News, WebSite-Watcher and Local Website Archive.  Oh, and Free Download Manager, but I'd rather avoid it; it spreads a load of stuff throughout the Registry and it's rather too "busy" a program.

lanux128:
recently i posted about VisualWget which is a GUI front-end for wget that has features such as download queue but the downside is that it requires .NET 2.0.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version