ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The definition of "bloat" - RE: Software

<< < (5/7) > >>

f0dder:
Disenchanted Nero fans should look at (the unofficial) Nero Lite & Micro, weighing in at 35 & 13 MB respectively (these figures may be for slightly older versions.) I personally prefer a burner that lets me directly create standalone encrypted media - something like Power2Go, though the CD Lock end result is a lot more transparent/user-friendly.-nosh (February 07, 2008, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm, that requires software on the user end, doesn't it? And is it 100% openly documented how the stuff is encrypted, so you can restore the data in the future, without that app?

justice:
App: You just described the opera "web browser". A more appropriate term would be suite, but they dont have that title. I dont know any other browsers which have an email, torrent, or chat client built in. Heck, even mozilla realized this and shutdown the mozilla project.
-Josh (February 07, 2008, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
actually it's still developed: http://Seamonkey is the all-in-one application formerly known as the "Mozilla Application Suite", containing a web browser, a mail and newsgroups client, an HTML editor, web development tools, and an IRC chat client in a single software package.

nosh:
Nope - both Power2Go & CD Lock create standalone media - no need for decryption software at the user end, they popup a password prompt once you insert the media. I'm not sure about them being openly documented though, my guess is no. The advantage with CD lock is once you enter the password the media is mounted and can be accessed normally by all apps, Power2Go opens up its own window with a protected files list that you can copy or (I think) run from within the window.

app103:
App: You just described the opera "web browser". A more appropriate term would be suite, but they dont have that title. I dont know any other browsers which have an email, torrent, or chat client built in. Heck, even mozilla realized this and shutdown the mozilla project.
-Josh (February 07, 2008, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

All they have left to add is a multi-protocol instant messaging client.

I think only someone very familiar with both AOL & Opera will find this amusing:

The definition of "bloat" - RE: Software

f0dder:
Nope - both Power2Go & CD Lock create standalone media - no need for decryption software at the user end, they popup a password prompt once you insert the media. I'm not sure about them being openly documented though, my guess is no. The advantage with CD lock is once you enter the password the media is mounted and can be accessed normally by all apps, Power2Go opens up its own window with a protected files list that you can copy or (I think) run from within the window.
-nosh (February 08, 2008, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, I wonder how that works, then - and how well it works (including encryption strength). I wouldn't trust such a solution for archival types of backup... especially not without any documentation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version