ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What did your first computer's hardware consist of ?

(1/2) > >>

tinyvillager:
Since i was going to crack open my computer for a DVD Burner install  i've decided to replace the hard drive
as well,going for 320 gig  :) This caused me to flash back to my first PC,back in 95 which was a Packard Bell,
66 mhz Pentium 1; 16 mb of RAM;2X Speed cdrom drive;and a hard drive that was 540 Megabytes! at i
believe  4200 RPM,might of been 5400 RPM,none the less noisy as hell,oh yeah let's not forget the 14.4 modem.

My mother purchased this for me for a little over $2000,which was a rip off even back then but she
wanted to surprise me and didn't know better.She bought it in monthly  payments through a catalog company,
fingerhut,who are still around but as since been taken to court for fraudulent interest practices.

Jibz:
My first computer was a Power 3000, a ZX81 clone :up:.

m_s:
My first was a Commore 64, back in OMG 1979!  I loved it, and when the first emulators came out a few years back, I downloaded several of the games I had back then - and they were as good as ever.  I remember the flashy screen as I loaded programs from cassette; I'd set them to load from tape and go run around outside for 30 minutes or so while they did so.  Wow, and now I get frustrated when I have to wait for 30 seconds...  I taught myself some basic machine language and used to write simple programs and - forgive me for I knew not what I did - crack games for my own use.   Ah, I'm coming over all Proustian...

mouser:
this was discussed a bit in an old thread, https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=514.0

here was the first computer we had (my father bought it, thanks pop), the Cromemco Z-2d:

http://users.pandora.be/lust/cromemcozd2.htm

CPU Z80 2 or 4MHZ
ROM 1K monitor
OS CP/M
RAM 64K
21 S-100 slots
8 and 18V integrated power supply
2 Floppy Drives
3 S100-bus cards

m_s:
It really was a pretty cool design!

Navigation