ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

The DC Coders' Breakfast Club

<< < (6/10) > >>

mouser:
app,
motherboards are really cheap.  find out the brand of your best friend and see if you can buy his brother or if someone has a spare to send you.

Renegade:
Ok, so today I was using some of those 30,000+ lines of generated plumbing code to process a file and prep it for insertion into the database. The database is pretty complex and the data needs to be massauged, so it's not trivial, but with all that plumbing code, it's super easy.

I think I really pity people that "work hard" instead of "work smart".

The point for me is to get things done, and working smart is just soooooooo much easier!

Really - inserting a record is 1 line of code with not a hint of SQL in sight!

f0dder:
30k+ lines to process files and insert to database? Do you have really complex input files and an overcomplex database transport, or is it's some shiiiiiitty code? :)

tinjaw:
Today I am going to spend time going through the iPython docs and learning some new tricks.

Renegade:
30k+ lines to process files and insert to database? Do you have really complex input files and an overcomplex database transport, or is it's some shiiiiiitty code? :)
-f0dder (March 18, 2008, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha!

It's generated code, and there are a lot of things that likely will never be used. I think the stored procs are somewhere north of 10k LOC.

However, if I need to make a database change, or tweak something, I can do it real fast without breaking anything -- I can be done in less than 10 minutes if I'm slow and take my time to be careful. And with all the extra stuff, if it's ever needed, it's there.

Thing is it just doesn't matter. The code is tight and works really fast. I've actually been surprised at just how fast it is considering some of the (bad) things I've been doing. :)

Optimization can come later. But the generated code itself is lightning fast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version