topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Questions about aliases  (Read 4553 times)

LM7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Questions about aliases
« on: March 24, 2008, 11:57 PM »
A few questions about this marvelous function - pardon my ignorance!

1. Is there any way to automatically cause the list of files in a search results window which contains Alias results to open up without having to double-click the list? For example, instead of the top result being "Exercise - Alias, 6 items", is there some way to make the results automatically appear as: Shoulder exercises.doc, Physiotherapy.doc, etc.

2. Is there any shortcut (or way to make a shortcut), for +alias (e.g, +al), so it won't be necessary to type out the whole word (to save time)?

3. Is there any way to automatically copy all the files located from an alias to a specified location on the hard disk, in effect copying material from a virtual folder into a "real" folder?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Questions about aliases
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:08 AM »
hi there, LM7.. some brief answers..

1. maybe this is what you're looking for.
2. you can type the 1st few words and press Tab to auto-complete.
3. i don't quite follow. do you want to copy the files that appear in the search result?

LM7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:14 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply -

1. Sorry, that wasn't what I was looking for (but good to know anyway)!
2. I meant that I was looking for a shortcut for the operator "+alias", not for the first few words of the alias itself.
3. Yes, that's exactly what I want - to copy the search result.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 03:42 AM »
You can drag+drop items from the results window to a folder which should result in them being copied.
Or if you just want the path you can right-click on a result and choose to "Copy Path".
But there is no way to copy "All" currently.  I suppose i could add that if it was really needed.

I'm not following request #1.

As for #2, assuming you do in fact want to use +alias to specifically ONLY match alias items, and that you already know that you don't have to normally use +alias if you just want to type an alias, then the answer is yes you could make your own shorthand.  You would create a new alias, and make it trigger for example on the regular expression:
al (.*)
and then for your result put:
dosearch +alias $$1

This will let you type "al BLAH" and only aliases matching BLAH will be shown, as if you had typed "+alias BLAH"

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 06:34 AM »
3. Yes, that's exactly what I want - to copy the search result.
Currently, farr can't do that (copy files to the windows clipboard).
What you can do is: open the place you want to copy the files, then drag+drop the files from farr to there. (this is VERY useful when you want to send stuff through windows live messenger, just find it in farr and then drag+drop into messenger's window)

PS: you can also copy the pathname of a file by setting the focus to it and pressing ctrl-c