ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does anyone know of a program that does this?

(1/1)

nite_monkey:
I'm looking for a virtual desktop program. No not just any old VD program, this one needs some features.
1.I want to be able to label each desktop.
2.(The major thing)I want to be able to put DIFFERENT icons on each desktop.

So for example I could label one of the desktops, games, and put all my game icons on that desktop.
I've seen several virtual desktop programs, but none of them let you put different icons on each desktop (none that I have found), and there are some that let you put a different background for each desktop, that isn't needed for me, but I wont reject the program if it does let you do that.
If I can't find a program that does this, then I might have to clutter up my second monitor with toolbars for each icon group.

CWuestefeld:
Dexpot (http://www.dexpot.de/index.php?lang=en) does what you want.

I've been using your scheme of separate desktops to host generic stuff vs. games vs. development for some time, and find it's a pretty good way to work.

nite_monkey:
While I was waiting for a reply, I did a little more searching, and ran across cool desk. I found that it does what I am wanting, and I have it set up right now, so I will download dexpot and put it on a different computer and see how it works.

edit:ok, I might have to use dexpot, because cool desk doesn't seem to want to open anymore.
edit2:ok, I have tried two programs, cool desk, and chirima virtual desk pro(something like that, I don't keep up with names of programs I don't like).
Both of those programs stunk. Instead of trying a third program, I have just decided to go a different route.
I put all my desktop icons into organized folders, and then dragged them to the side of the desktop to turn them into toolbars. It looks like that is going to be my new choice.

jgpaiva:
I also would recommend dexpot.

(also see Dexpot: Probably the best virtual desktop manager around)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version