topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FarrFox not working for me?  (Read 8603 times)

cjs2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FarrFox not working for me?
« on: February 06, 2008, 02:26 PM »
Just wondered if anyone else is having problems with FarrFox and the latest FARR (v2.00.145)... Whether I type "ff" or not at the beginning of the search line, it is not picking up my Firefox bookmarks.  I just conducted a default install of the FarrFox plugin v1.03.01 which FARR has picked up and is listing as an active on the Plugin manager page.

Anything obvious I am missing? WinXP SP2, Firefox 2.0.0.11 in case it matters.  Tried reloading, reinstalling and switching off various local security / critter monitors to no avail.

Great tool of course - btw, agree with another poster who said that not having to type "ff" would be good also!

Thanks in advance

Carl

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FarrFox not working for me?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:35 PM »
Welcome to dc cjs2!  :)

Have you changed the bookmark file location ? If yes, you should indicate the path in the the advanced plugin option for the farrfox plugin.

as for "not having to type "ff", you could configure a special hotkey (with farr's hotkey system) that will enter ff automatically. But if what you mean is that you'd like farr to treat bookmarks as file names, url or links, I guess mouser would have to link the plugin to the usual search and unify the results in some way... Or something like that...

cjs2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Hi, thanks for the response.  No, I have not changed the bookmarks location in Firefox, in fact I had to look up how I would do this if I wanted!  Bookmarks.html is in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<blah>.default currently which I am assuming is normal.  Just as a test I tried pasting this in as a "custom path" but again with no effect.

Yes - I did mean "seamless" firefox bookmark searching through the plug-in as a goal.  With Firefox user numbers being what they are now (especially high in Germany I understand), I think lots of people would appreciate that.  No big deal if it's not easily achievable though.  In principle though, I imagine there is no reason why the plugins should not be able to callable without a special sequence and contribute to the overall result set.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Strange.
What does the result list show when you write "ff" + space ?

Mine shows this :

Screenshot - 2008-02-06 , 17_57_34.jpg

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 10:44 PM »
try adding the bookmark's path manually in the advanced options & see if that changes anything.

ws-farrfox-adv-1.png

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:07 PM »
I believe he already did, Lanux.  :)

Just as a test I tried pasting this in as a "custom path" but again with no effect.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:12 PM »
I believe he already did, Lanux.  :)

Just as a test I tried pasting this in as a "custom path" but again with no effect.

yes, he has already done that.  :-[ thanks for pointing that out, Armando.

cjs2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 12:49 PM »
OK fixed now - I had to get hold of FarrFox 1.07.01, whose release notes since 1.03.01 list at some point API changes.  This now works with the latest FARR.  Thanks for the screenshot which helped me see I was behind in version.

P.S. FarrFox 1.07.01 is not easy to find here by the way - I only seemed to be able to find a link somewhere half way down a thread of discussion.  Also wondered if it will be updateable via the DCUpdate tool at some point?

Cheers

Carl

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Yes, mouser has the links for the addons a bit hidden. Here's the unofficial link (ssssh, don't tell anyone ;))

And yes, DcUpdater already updates FarrFox. If mouser decides to release a new version someday, that is :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 01:16 PM »
Good to hear you fixed your problem cjs2.
BTW, I use the "PlainOldFavorites" add-on for Firefox : I've decided to not use bookmarks as such, partly to eliminate the "global search" (so to speak) problem you mentioned (like you, I prefer searching globally and not have my bookmarks or favorites embedded in a single file), but also to allow seamless inter operation between Firefox and IE. Ctrl+D will creates a favorite instead and you even have a favorite menu in Firefox.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 10:00 PM »
Firefox 3 needs a configuration change to work with FarrFox:
https://www.donation....msg176861#msg176861