topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Scout badge" for tech stuff - what did you just accomplish for the first time?  (Read 5118 times)

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Today I searched for and installed drivers for everything from sound to webcam on my new laptop, as part of my "upgrade" from the supplied Windows Vista to good old XP. 

I'd installed plenty of drivers in my time but I'd never had to deal with things like finding out which chipset was in my laptop.  I used Belarc advisor, Aida32, and lots of googling, and it was all successful.   

It's not major, but I learned a lot and feel rather chuffed.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i had done something similar recently but for a friend and this friend happened to have a program called DriverMax which was supposed to find all the drivers & bits on the internet so that we can get on with a hassle-free installation. but this program was more interested in updating itself rather than looking for drivers (or updated drivers). so we gave it a boot and searched for drivers the old-fashioned way - by googling and opening up the case. :)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have used PCI32 by Craig Hart in the past which has kept me from having to open the case.  It can be found here http://members.dataf...ft0802/downloads.htm, it has over 19,500 records in it.  It will give more info than Belarc Advisor does.

Dave