topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: CluGrid Discussion  (Read 43101 times)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CluGrid Discussion
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 01:23 AM »
Take a look at the top of the splash screen, or the Help->About. Does it say 1.0.0.10? I didn't change the install file name since the pad file etc. would also need to be changed; I'll get around to that later  :)

The installation path shouldn't make a difference but I will check of course!

VerticalHeight=0 relates to a 'spare' setting that I never used. It's just hanging around in there in case I needed it ;)

The most important thing is... you seem to be ok to use the game now?

timns

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Hi Timns,

i just downloaded again the file from your dc-memberspage, ignoring the filename. After installing the new downloaded file in the splash screen at top still stands 1.0.0.9! Cleared my browser cache and tried it again...Again 1.0.0.9.

*SHRUG* Dunno whats going on here. And yes, when ignoring all the hassle (manually set the ini, make the program window readable with every program start) i can use the program.

CU
JoTo

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 09:28 AM »
That's really odd... I just downloaded to a virgin PC and it's definitely 1.0.0.10. Would you like me to email the file to you?

timns

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 09:38 AM »
Hi timns,

really odd, indeed! Please believe me that

a) i'm not such a computer lamer that i do sth. wrong here and
b) I'm not wasting your time with kidding aroung

Yes, please send me the file directly to <xyz>@dcmembers.com (for spam robot protection please replace <xyz> with my nickname).

TIA
JoTo

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 10:59 AM »
timns should add update support for the program using dcupdater!
it's very easy and you get free support from the author (me) if you need help ;)

https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9607.0

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 12:28 PM »
I like de look of dat. I'll have a go with it... may be useful for one of our commercial products too. I'll talk to the CEO.

timns

autohost

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 11:10 AM »
That's really odd... I just downloaded to a virgin PC and it's definitely 1.0.0.10. Would you like me to email the file to you?

timns

Thank you!  I love the program!

On   http://timns.dcmembers.com/CluGrid.html   when I mouse over the CluGrid download link, it says http://timns.dcmembe.../CluGrid_1_0_0_9.EXE

When I looked in the PAD xml file, it says http://timns.dcmembe.../CluGrid_1_0_0_9.zip

I tried replacing the '9' with a '10', but got 'not found' errors, so it looks like the 1.0.0.10 version is not available.

One issue I saw was that if you have the timer turned off, the bottom % completed bar is always 100%, while the top % completed bar is always 0%.

Also, when solving the puzzle, in the lower part of the window, you display what is known about the current puzzle.  When all values in that window are known, isn't the puzzle technically 100% completed?  Currently, you can only reach 100% if ALL boxes in the puzzle are filled in.  I don't mind that, but was confused when I first noticed it.  Perhaps a little mention of it in the help file would help some people.

I'd love to be able to make a custom puzzle for people/items/events for my co-workers.  Naturally, I could take a screenshot of a puzzle in GluGrid, then use a graphic editor program to put in the names etc I wanted to use.  It would be nice, though, if there was a way for players to enter custom data for the current puzzle and have that data used in the onscreen display of the puzzle and in the clues.

Thanks again for a great game!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Thank you for the kind feedback - and the observations. I worked on the game part-time quite a while back before releasing it, and I'm not at all surprised that there are some "funnies" in there (for want of a better word).

I'll be happy to create you a custom version for your colleagues - the program loads the text from an encrypted XML file at startup so it's a piece of cake. I must have been prescient when I set that up  :Thmbsup:

... although don't ask me why I encrypted it!

Anyway, all I need from you is the list of names, and any amusing / embarrassing / sarcastic / in-joke type situations you'd like to see them in. Or if you're feeling all XML-ey you can do it yourself, the format is very simple, and I can tell you how to encrypt.

In fact that's a general offer for all you marvellous DC members out there - get me the text and I'll do anyone a Kustom Speshul CluGrid.

timns
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:47 PM by timns »

autohost

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 10:37 PM »
I'll be happy to create you a custom version for your colleagues - the program loads the text from an encrypted XML file at startup so it's a piece of cake. I must have been prescient when I set that up  :Thmbsup:

... although don't ask me why I encrypted it!

Anyway, all I need from you is the list of names, and any amusing / embarrassing / sarcastic / in-joke type situations you'd like to see them in. Or if you're feeling all XML-ey you can do it yourself, the format is very simple, and I can tell you how to encrypt.

In fact that's a general offer for all you marvellous DC members out there - get me the text and I'll do anyone a Kustom Speshul CluGrid.

timns
Strange, I actually did download version 1.0.0.10 at one point, but when I went back to the site later, all I can find is 1.0.0.9.

Thank you for your kind offer!  If there cannot be an interface for players to enter in data they want to be in the puzzle, then I'd rather do it myself in XML rather than bother you about it.

Since you said not to ask why you encrypted it, I won't :)  I do know the internal filenames and their container type, so all that I'm missing is the password for encryption and the format of the XML file.

Thank you.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 11:19 PM »
i think it would be fun if you let users customize the names themselves, could add another fun dimension to it.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 02:48 AM »
Ok, for now you can do this:

In the CluGrid installation folder, there is a sub-folder called 'data' containing four files.

• Unzip the files with the password #asm
  • Edit the XML to your heart's content
  • Re-zip the files wth the password #asm
  • Rename the files to back to .adf

The content should be fairly self-explanatory.

If you make a mistake with the XML format, the program won't run, so keep a backup!

Later I might add mouser's idea of a little dialog where you can add your own names etc. Let's see how many donations come in first  :Thmbsup:

timns

sicknero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 07:12 AM »
Only 4 years late :)  Just wanted to say, great stuff thanks. Always loved these puzzles and my mum adores them too, so she'll be chuffed!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 10:04 AM »
Ha, thank you. At some point I'll add some more topics and texts. If you have any suggestions just shout them out and I'll dust off the code.