ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple audio DB app. to launch default player

<< < (2/2)

urlwolf:
MusicIP can be set up to play with an external player.
Its db is lightning fast.

It has some issues; tagging speed is not very good, GUI usability is so-so, and doesn't support APE tags, but overall it could be a good contender.

It has some niceties derived from having fingerprinting: fix tags, fig artist are some of them. Worth a try I'd say. It does support drag and drop, but not to foobar :(

I think mediamonkey can use an external player as well.

parpfish:
MusicIP can be set up to play with an external player.
Its db is lightning fast.

It has some issues; tagging speed is not very good, GUI usability is so-so, and doesn't support APE tags, but overall it could be a good contender.

It has some niceties derived from having fingerprinting: fix tags, fig artist are some of them. Worth a try I'd say. It does support drag and drop, but not to foobar :(

I think mediamonkey can use an external player as well.
-urlwolf (February 05, 2008, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that. So far MusicIP is the best candidate. I read their privacy policy though and decided to block all its .exe files from accessing the internet (i.e. their servers) - I just don't like the idea of my entire music collection being scanned, validated and ID'd so that some marketing types in California can sell some data - regardless of whether it's tied to my IP address. I just don't trust them.

That aside, without its fingerprinting/analysis it still functions pretty well as a database.
Not perfect but by far the best so far.

I shall continue to search.

Tried a number of Lashiec's media/disk cataloguers. Some came close-ish and that's an area I hadn't looked at - so thanks Lashiec - I'll keep looking in that area.

Finally, yes I'd tried MediaMonkey. Would be nice if it was more flexible with its UI, if I remember it didn't let me decide what I wanted to look at, couldn't reorder cols, widen certain panes etc... MM does launch an external player but only if it's winamp. Tried fooling it into thinking foobar was winamp but with little joy. Also was a bit cluttered -- again very good app but for my purposes it's trying to do too much. I'm already happy with much of the software I use which MM duplicates.

Thanks again to all who responded -- if I find the near-perfect solution - will let you know. If I don't I might have to stick with MusicIP. Though if I'm honest I would rather someone here hacked around with musikCube's source (it is open source afterall), removed the player, allowed for a wider range of media types (including video), and let the new program launch the default player for each file type. That would be perfect --- Wavs launching in CoolEdit, Video in Media Player Classic and everything else in in Foobar.

All the best.
P.

cmpm:
I don't know if this is in any of the links posted-

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm3/

cmpm:
Google -playlist manager- and there are quite a few,
though some are not free and some you may not like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version