topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I cannot delete or modify entries??  (Read 23424 times)

itreeye

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I cannot delete or modify entries??
« on: February 04, 2008, 05:08 PM »
In the 'earn points' tap, if I right click on a catagory the menu offers the option to delete or modify the catagory. I've tried both and absolutely nothing happens. I've tried it with the user defined catagory and the sample ones. Is this the same for everyone or should I re-install or something?
p.s.
I love this program and the idea! :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: I cannot delete or modify entries??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:46 PM »
It's not just you -- that right click context menu should not actually show for any tab except your History Diary tab.
If you want to hide items from showing in the Earn/Reward tab go to View -> Program Options ->
and disable the data configuration files you dont want to show.

ps.
thank you for the nice words about the program.

itreeye

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 11:53 PM »
Yes I'm just getting into it today. Very cool :) It makes work or chores a bit like a game I guess...

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Understood.
I have tried to disconnect from the example profile with success.
 ;D

dsp7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Well, while I really like the concept of this software, these relatively minor glitches upon starting it up the first time appear enough like bugs (and perhaps are fast enough to remedy) that in my view it could be worth a quick fix at some point.

In fact, I think there may be a bug or two as well.  For instance, when I go to the Item Definition Editor, it allows me to add new items without opening a file.  Those new items are then invisible in that editor, but appear as "New Item" in the main software screen.

I also get nothing when I click on "Check for Updates Now" which combined with the above led me to believe that perhaps the software wasn't working quite right.

I was able to edit the XML file for the items which convinced me the software was working well enough -- so I continued playing with it.

I think perhaps something as simple as by default loading a new user-defined file in the definitions editor rather than a blank screen there might make it more intuitive for the first time user.

Or alternatively, making the initial definitions file customizable.  Right now on this Vista machine that file is in the Program Files directory and thus essentially intended to be read-only.  (Part of that confusion lies with Windows itself, but I wonder whether a couple of minor modifications to the setup might make this smoother.)

But overall, nothing major, certainly engineering-wise.  I've played with a few of your programs and all appear to be thoughtfully designed.  Thanks for your efforts.

Dan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your comments -- I think you probably hit the nail correctly on all of those -- and as you've surmised, Point Motivator could really use an update to smooth out these rough edges.

The real reason it hasn't gotten attention from me is that there doesn't appear to be much interest in the concept, and it feels like perhaps there are no real users; so it just goes to the bottom of the todo list..

However, I will try to get a minor update out at least that takes care of these worst offender bugs.  I definitely appreciate any help you or anyone else gives in identifying the issues to fix -- makes it all that much easier for me to release a quick update.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17 AM »
I think one issue is that Point Motivator is somewhat overly complex.

What might make it more usable is if someone was willing to create some xml definition files with some purpose in mind -- with enough entries that would satisfy users so they could use those definition files without ever feeling the need to customize them.

That would keep most users from ever having to go into the options at all.  If I could find someone willing to create some of those, it might breathe some new life into the program..

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your comments -- I think you probably hit the nail correctly on all of those -- and as you've surmised, Point Motivator could really use an update to smooth out these rough edges.

The real reason it hasn't gotten attention from me is that there doesn't appear to be much interest in the concept, and it feels like perhaps there are no real users; so it just goes to the bottom of the todo list..

However, I will try to get a minor update out at least that takes care of these worst offender bugs.  I definitely appreciate any help you or anyone else gives in identifying the issues to fix -- makes it all that much easier for me to release a quick update.

It's a season software, of course. Except for educators.
I made my duties and tried to find an alternative to PM. But was not possible for me.

So God bless you if time enough to make a few modifications.

Some day you told the idea of a price software or something like that. And on the cloud. But there is a lot of such programs. And yours is the only independent one.

So i will wait for you forever.

:-*

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:17 PM »
if I right click on a catagory the menu offers the option to delete or modify the catagory. I've tried both and absolutely nothing happens. I've tried it with the user defined catagory and the sample ones. Is this the same for everyone or should I re-install or something?

Actually you can modify and delete and add items, but NOT using the right-click context menu -- I'm not sure why that right-click menu in the main dialog pretends you can.  Ignore that.  You have to open the Item Definition Editor and option the definition file that holds those items in order to modify or delete or add those.

I ran Point Motivator for the first time in a while.. I forgot how much work I put into that program! What a shame that it proved useless to most people.. I have a habit of making elaborate programs like that (see my Web Link Captor for another extreme example).

However, it's probably still worth a minor update.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Running to try Web Link Captor

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 08:20 PM »
I think perhaps something as simple as by default loading a new user-defined file in the definitions editor rather than a blank screen there might make it more intuitive for the first time user.

I'm changing it so the sample file is copied into user directory as their first editable sample file, and that will load by default when they launch editor for the first time.

So someone who doesnt work with multiple files can just basically never have to worry about item files, they can just use the one they start out with.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 09:55 PM »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 09:01 AM »
 ;D

Nice indeed. I am trying of course and observ a notable better interface and way to do it (excuse my english). I would to make constructive criticisim when time but what I have seen until now is simply wonderful.
I will comment.

Nada7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 12:55 PM »
I'm the same.  I cannot modify, add or delete entries.  I tried creating a new file, hoping that at least I'd get rid of the default entries but no avail, I'm still stuck with them.  Same with adding entries do not work.  Also, the help file is not helpful in any way about how to use the app.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 12:58 PM »
Grab the beta from this thread: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=33075.0
And let me know if that fixes things.

Nada7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Yes it does!  I can finally edit the file and modify/add/delete entries.

Thanks!!!

P.S.  How do we add children entries to an entry?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 02:24 AM »
To place something deeper in a hierarchy, just fill out the "Category Path" and specify something deeper (with more periods), and then hit the Refresh Changes button.

Nada7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 03:45 AM »
To place something deeper in a hierarchy, just fill out the "Category Path" and specify something deeper (with more periods), and then hit the Refresh Changes button.

Thanks!!!  But it seems it's be much simpler to just add it to the right click menu, along with Add New Item, Make a Clone of Current Item or Delete this Item... like Add New Child Item.

Nada7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 03:45 AM »

Thanks!!!  But it seems it's be much simpler to just add it to the right click menu, along with Add New Item, Make a Clone of Current Item or Delete this Item... like Add New Child Item.