topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I wish there was a way to trade software licenses.  (Read 4945 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wish there was a way to trade software licenses.
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:23 PM »
Ever bought a software and then not ever used it?  If only there was a way to sell "used" software licenses or trade them with people who have software you want.  The problem is, obviously, that it's all virtual and there's no real way to transfer a license without making sure the other person doesn't have it anymore.  Oh well, just wishing.

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I wish there was a way to trade software licenses.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:28 PM »
Some shareware authors allow it, but it's not smooth. You have to write them, and so on.
Lifebalance from Llamagraphics comes to mind, but I'm sure there are more.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:32 PM »
Well, most hardware-bound software have a 'transfer license' option, and dongle protected software can be physically sold.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:23 AM »
I know Adobe had a transfer option on their software -
dont know if they still do.. then you know it's officially yours at least
Tom

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:24 AM »
they did when CS3 came out but due to issues with it they disabled the option in the menu. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:50 AM »
Wow. Lots of licensing stuff lately.

This is my usual section for that:

10. ASSIGNMENT AND NON-ASSIGNMENT

If you are an individual and this Agreement is for a single license, then this license is personal to you but you may assign your rights under this Agreement to a third party who agrees in writing to be bound to this Agreement prior to the assignment and provided that you transfer all copies of the Software, registration keys and/or codes, and related documentation to the third party and destroy any copies not transferred. If you are an individual and this Agreement is for a multi-user license, or you are not an individual and are an entity, then you may not assign your rights under this Agreement without the prior written permission of the Company. If you are an entity that merges with or is acquired by another entity then your rights under this Agreement shall be deemed to be temporarily assigned to the resulting entity of that merge or acquisition provided that you supply the Company with written notice not later than the date on which any public announcement of that merger or acquisition is made.  Upon receipt of written notice, the Company shall have thirty (30) days to either accept or reject the assignment of rights.

That is very generous compared to most.

The thing is that you need to be fair to people and treat them well. If I buy a book and give it to someone, it's the same thing.

As an author, you need to reserve some rights, but that doesn't mean that you need to treat people badly. Most people are honest. If you can help the honest people stay honest, then that's probably enough. The dishonest ones will figure a way to be dishonest anyways, so why bother? Instead of treating everyone like a thief, you can treat people with respect and hope that they return the favor.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker