ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera M2 + Gmail + IMAP = not recommended

(1/6) > >>

jgpaiva:
Ok, so by this point everyone already knows that opera is the best browser in the world. Then, you also know that M2 is the best email client in the world. And that Gmail is the best email provider in the world.

The problem arises when you combine them.

Gmail uses a tag approach for email. And then, they map this to folders. Then, opera downloads those and considers it's stuff in different folders, and from then on, the whole thing becomes stupid.

Imagine you have a bunch of gmail filters in place. When I receive an email from DC, it comes into my inbox, and gets tagged "donationcoder". (also don't forget that all mails in gmail are under the "all mail" tag).
So... I receive an email from DC, and opera informs me that i have 3 new emails, ALL EXACTLY THE SAME, but in different folders.

Then i find that opera has a "ignore imap folders" option! I set it to ignore all but the "all mail" folder, and life is good... Until i receive the next email, repeated 3 times again. That happens because opera somehow forgot about that "ignore" setting and isn't ignoring any of the folders again.

So now i have a few options:

* I try to figure out why it is ignoring the settings (maybe someone here knows)

* I go back to POP (and risk it losing some mails) (and redownload all my email!  >:()

* I configure GMail so that it doesn't have any labels and sends every mail directly to the all mail tag.

* 9mm
What do you think?

CGA:
From what i've heard it's actually Gmail that doesn't support unsubscribing from selective folders (yet). I personally gave up on Opera+IMAP long time ago and went back to POP. I've tested Thunderbird and IMAP for a while but the problem was the same, you get all your IMAP folders downloaded.

jgpaiva:
Oh... Thanks a lot for the explanation, CGA! That makes opera raize in my consideration almost to the level it was before this mess :)

iphigenie:
I use opera+imap and its better than almost any other client I tried (2 exceptions are better on some aspects) - so I am curious as to what the problem is.

I just open the imap folder list and tick imap folders I want to monitor and it ignores all others.

We must be talking about different things

jgpaiva:
Do you use opera's IMAP with gmail, iphigenie?

If not, then that confirms it's gmail's fault ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version