topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Run for your life!  (Read 5203 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Run for your life!
« on: February 03, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Literally. Scientists have discovered that exercise has a direct effect on a person's life expectancy. You may think that as long as you stay healthy, you don't need to do exercise, don't you? Wrong. It appears that, even if you're a thin, healthy person, and don't smoke, lack of exercise makes you biologically older than other persons doing regular physical activity, whether it's running or walking the dog. Also, it seems that being biologically older makes you more prone to develop Alzheimer later in your life.

Article

Screenshot - 04_02_2008 , 2_40_44.pngRun for your life!

A walk a day keeps the doctor away, folks.

via The Tech Report

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Run for your life!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:27 PM »
I'm very thin, and don't engage in any "risky" behavior (i.e. tobacco or alcohol use, etc.) and I'm definitely not healthy. It's a weird kind of stigma--people think that if you're not fat you must be "in shape" when the truth is that I get winded pretty easily too doing exercise.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:34 PM »
I'm very thin, and don't engage in any "risky" behavior (i.e. tobacco or alcohol use, etc.) and I'm definitely not healthy. It's a weird kind of stigma--people think that if you're not fat you must be "in shape" when the truth is that I get winded pretty easily too doing exercise.
I agree, it doesn't matter if you are skinny, you can still be out of shape. I am not fat, and I also can get winded when doing exercise.
[Insert really cool signature here]

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 03:41 AM »
Exercise (activity in any form you can think of, cardio preferably within the first 3 hours of waking for the day) and lots of fresh fruit and/or fruit juices (when 100% and not from concentrate) also dark green vegetables, and throw in a small but consistent amount of nuts, almonds, walnuts, filbers. That about sums a good core of a healthy lifestyle.  I have dabbled much in diets the last 5 years.  Avoid as much fake sugars as possible (Splenda/Sucralose, Sorbitol, Maltitol), don't avoid carbohydrates like Atkins suggests, rather be smart about how much & when you consume pastas, breads, etc...  As much as some replacement ingredients may be okay for the body, they screw the body up more often than not, as we have evolved with our bodies expecting naturally occuring sugars, grains, organicly grown plants.  Don't eat the last 3 hours before you lie down for the night.   It really is becoming so much more clear to me the last month or two as I have followed this path more strictly (without deviating and my body has never felt better since age 22 - when I didn't have to worry about anything I ate, or so it seemed at the time).  I am 32 now and this is the field I have been studying on a leisurely basis the last 6 months. Oh yeah, I also subscribe to New Scientist magazine, excellent publication (online edition included), a college student discount is available if you check a box ;)  I would also like to recommend a magazine called OnFitness, good stuff.  By the way Lashiec, perfect use of the inline image mod.  :Thmbsup:

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:44 AM »
Don't eat the last 3 hours before you lie down for the night.

Ooops! I do that on Saturdays :-[ (not always, but still...)

By the way Lashiec, perfect use of the inline image mod.  :Thmbsup:

Thanks!

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:32 AM »
Could this explain why most military personnel live long healthy lives to become the "Vietnam Veteran" stereotypes which tell old war stories?

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 02:55 PM »
Also, don't overeat. Slight caloric deficit is actually good for you, while the reverse is... BAD.