ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft bids $44.6-billion for Yahoo!

<< < (2/2)

Darwin:
And Google jumps into the fray (sort of...):

In a bid to preserve its dominance on the Web, Google Inc. is seeking to derail Microsoft Corp.'s plan to gobble up Yahoo Inc.

Since learning of Microsoft's $44.6-billion US unsolicited bid on Friday, Google has gone on the offensive, saying the merger would threaten Web innovation and competition.

At the same time, behind the scenes, the Internet giant is said to reaching out to rivals who may be interested in putting together a competing bid for Yahoo.

--- End quote ---
from the Vancouver Sun.

Lashiec:
I think I'd take a seat. This purchase will take a looooong time (look at Google and DoubleClick), and those involved are still thinking what to do, Yahoo! studying the proposal, Google playing the fear card and bringing up the possibility of an alliance with Yahoo!, and Microsoft wondering how are they going to get the money needed for the operation and how Yahoo! will integrate within the company.

The few articles I read talking about the whole issue consider everything as bad thing for both companies involved, for a lot of reasons (you know which are the important ones). I think the same, mostly because I despise this kind of integration between big corporations to form megacorporations that seems to be so frequent in this day and age. Of course, there are all kind of opinions, Paul Thurrott is going happy happy joy joy over the marriage, and others are claiming the death of Microsoft because this bid means they lack innovation capabilities (*ahem*)

Renegade:
I'll just remind readers of this post:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6962.0
-mouser (February 01, 2008, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

But shouldn't it be $997? :)

As for the Yahoo thing, I'm hoping that it creates some competition for Google and brings down the price of CPC ads. Getting a $5 minimum bid for "super ultra obscure keyword that nobody is bidding on" is just silly.

Armando:
$44.6-billion.  :o That's a lot a lot a lot of money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version