ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Avafind mini review

<< < (4/4)

Kevin Black:
Nice program! However, have anyone here tried Instant File Find  http://www.popusoft.com  ??  It's very similar to AvaFind (purely file search tool ) . However, the search toolbar in Instant File Find can be customized. And files can be searched  by size and date. The interface is better than avafind also . Both are excellent software except there's no update for avafind for many years.

nosh:
I'm glad I discovered this mini review via another thread - thanks, Babis!
Ava Find is indeed very helpful - similar (realtime file indexing) to FileTracer which also hasn't seen any development for a while.

A quick comparison between the two:

* Ava Find (AF) has live search - a big plus!
* AF has the scout box (new + changed files), FileTracer (FT) lets you view the changes in realtime in a separate window (think Filemon)
* AF has very customizable folder blocking (a different set of folders can be blocked for different panes) but it's a royal pain in the neck to set up, FT lets you block off certain folders for everything but setting this up is done in a much more straightforward way.
* AF's video, music, etc buttons don't act as filters for the current search but show a complete list of those file types, FT lets you do result filtering which is much more useful.
* AF's Mypicks and Scoutbox panes are nice but I wish there was an option to clear these boxes automatically.
* The file result layout in AF is superior (in details view).
Overall AF is superior in a few ways, just wish a couple of its obvious drawbacks weren't around.

Edit: Just tried Instant File Find, it's very similar to AF but without the scoutbox and recently run files list. The toolbar is customizable and attractive but the buttons do the same thing as AF's counterparts (ie: list all files in that category (music, video,...) rather than filter out those file types based on the search carried out. It must be mentioned that Instant File Find's indexing was the fastest of the lot. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version