ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PDA Integration with (PIM - Email, Calendar, Tasks, Memos,Etc.)

(1/2) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Hi,

Anyone know of a full-blown PIM that will allow dual-direction synching with my Palm T|X?  The PIM must have the following...

* Email client that can display inline-HTML images as well as displaying image attachments inline.
* Calendar
* Task Manager, preferably with the ability to have the tasks integrated with the Calendar so Due Dates are displayed.
* Memos, Letters and large Writings (small novels, etc.)
Some things that would be nice to have are...

* Create/play sound files for relaxing or verbal emails.
* One-click integration with a Text-to-Speech reader.
My laptop is useful, but I need to be ale to pop the PDA in my pocket and step away from my laptop quite often. 

I have been searching this forum's history and have read everything I can find on DC, but without success.  I have searched the internet as well. 

The best combo discovered so far is...

* Outlook 2002 (I have a license) - Outlook is the only one I have found with the One-Click TTS.
* Agendus Pro by iambic.
* Documents-To-Go.
* Text Aloud or NaturalReader
* <Off Topic> IE7 also has the "One-Click" buttons too. </Off Topic> 

While this setup can fill my needs, I am interested to see if anyone knows of a comprehensive alternative.

Thank you. for your help. :)

allen:
Have you tried PocoMail?

I'd also love to use GooSync for google apps/handheld, but have the one Palm device that it won't work with.

Another web-based solution (for non-vista users) is Airset - Airset looks incredibly promising, to me.

As for handheld memo/calendar integration etc, check out Datebk6 -- it's mindblowing.  It doesn't use a proprietary db, instead it uses your internal notes/calendar/contacts. etc., so the data is always synchronized properly and accessible via palm desktop, etc. With it, you can link any item to any item -- contacts to events, etc.  -- It does a great deal of stuff.  I didn't think I needed an enhancement of my todo list, calendar, etc. Then made the mistake of downloading datebk.  If you have/use versamail, datebk can accept it as a plugin for its Today view, as well.

edit by jgpaiva: fixed url tag

CodeTRUCKER:
Hey Allen,

Thanks for the comeback.  I've been sparse on my visits here and just recently saw the reply. 

DateBk6 is great!  Small fast and dependable.  Pimlico apparently understands the wisdom in "not reinventing the wheel."  I'll stick with this one for a while.

I have used Poco in the recent past, but once I was using it and all ~25,000 emails just vanished!  :o  Everything I tried wouldn't bring them back until one time when I reopened Poco all 25K were there again. :huh:  As you can imagine, I lost confidence and began looking elsewhere for a client, but for me, the whole reason for keeping emails is as a database and Poco's find-as-you-type feature takes the prize.  Since my emails are backed up I might give it another try.  Although Poco did the hocus-pocus-abracadabra thing, AFAICT not one email was corrupted or lost.  I just wish Slaven would pick up the development on some improvements I've read about.

FWIW - your new avatar is dashing and I am glad to see the Prawn is resurrected.  I take it, JARDAY is someone quite close to your person?

allen:
DateBk6 is great!  Small fast and dependable.  Pimlico apparently understands the wisdom in "not reinventing the wheel."  I'll stick with this one for a while.-CodeTRUCKER (April 05, 2008, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't used poco for a long, long time--I've lately been flirting with the idea of trying it (Or Barca?) as I want a desktop solution to sync with my Palm that isn't Palm Desktop. I think Barca fills that role, but I'm not certain. Years ago I remember reading that Palm sync was planned for Barca but don't know what became of that.

http://I have used Poco in the recent past, but once I was using it and all ~25,000 emails just vanished! Man, that'd make a man's stomach churn . . . My favorite aspect of gmail is having a server side backup of everything that I mostly trust.  I am still in limbo for my local "backup". At present, I'm using Opera's M2, however using the betas I never really know for sure what day IMAP is supported and how well. Some times it works, some times it doesn't :)

http://FWIW - your new avatar is dashing and I am glad to see the Prawn is resurrected.  I take it, JARDAY is someone quite close to your person?

Thanks! A rare moment when my hat was off my head . . . there's a scalp and some hair under there! Theprawn.com's non-obscure content was always there, just tucked a few layers back for a bit.  Some days I'm more self-indulgent than others, I'm sure I'll be making it unreadable again before too long!  As for JARDAY, you might say someone close to my person :D

Armando:
I use Outlook 2003 + Keysuite (by Chapura -- a bit expensive, but worth it IMO... There's also the less expensive pocket mirror ). Keysuite is my favorite palm software for syncing with Outlook. All the others I tried (2-3 years ago) even if they had impressive features had drawbacks and quirks when it came to perfect synchronization (like syncing events colors, recurrences etc.). I came to the conclusion that I don't want to much differences between the data in my palm and the data in my computer, and that's why I chose Keysuite.

I don't sync my email, so I can't say anything about that. But the most reputable are Versamail (which ships with the Treo?), ChatterEmail and SnapperMail, I think. ChatterEmail seems very good.

You could read that :

http://solutionsathand.wordpress.com/2007/03/08/e-mail-round-up-part-1-versamail-vs-chatteremail/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version