topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft Disavowing Vista?  (Read 4890 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft Disavowing Vista?
« on: February 02, 2008, 02:24 PM »
Interesting article I saw in eWeek today:
  Jim

edit by jgpaiva: added screenshot

(EDIT:  A hearty "Thank you" to jgpaiva for replacing the Tinyurl link I had posted to the eWeek article and going through the trouble of replacing it with a screenshot!  I didn't know about the tinyurl link rule, but I do now!  Thanks again! - Jim   :)  )
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:25 PM by J-Mac »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft Disavowing Vista?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:35 AM »
classic comment:
As Directions on Microsoft analyst Michael Cherry recently told eWEEK's Peter Galli, "I don't think Vista is as bad as Microsoft has convinced people it is."
Yeah not as bad as the press has made out, and this article just contributes to that. I'm sure MS would like to convince people how bad it is.. ehh what  :huh:

My experience is that in our environment people ask for vista because they're now used to it at home.

Could Vista have missed its shot? Yes, yes, I know, how can I say this when there are tens of millions of copies of it out there? Easily. It's one thing to drop copies of Vista Home Basic and Premium on Best Buy customers who don't know any better. It's another thing entirely to get CIOs and IT managers to spend—or should I say waste?—billions on Vista.
If they're spending billions on it now they would definately have if it was a better product.

:tellme: What did you find interesting about it? Sorry if i am overly critical on eweek.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:59 AM by justice »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:02 AM »
Ah, Vista bashing. Cool. Perhaps the author (Vaughan-Nichols, not J-Mac) should check this article, particularly the section "2002: Early development". ZOMG!1111, Microsoft started to kill Windows XP in 2002 :o

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:28 AM »
If Microsoft hasn't put Vista behind them in their minds, perhaps they should truly consider rebranding themselves. Lots of folks in internet land have been hyper-critical of Vista, including SJVN and PCMag Editor Jim Louderback, Dan Tynan, Chris Pirillo, Dan Reisinger, the British Government, and yes, even moi. But as PC Mag editor-in-chief Lance Ulanoff told a Microsoft rep at this year's CES:

"There's nothing wrong with Vista," I told him, "but you guys have a big problem on your hands. Perception is reality, and the perception is that Vista is a dud.... the operating system is too complex, too burdened by things people don't need. It's trying to support the world, and most times it feels like it. I have a quad-core PC at home, with 3GB of RAM and a powerful graphics card, and I still wonder why Vista sometimes seems so slow."

Worse yet, even where Vista seems to succeed, it fails. Ulanoff gives four suggestions for a complete Vista makeover, among them:
Stop trying to make Windows all things to all people. Build it for three core tasks: e-mail, Web browsing, and document creation (which would cover 75 percent or more of the computing world's needs). Sell the OS for $19.99. Then build a dozen or so add-ons that users can bolt on to create the task-oriented OS they want: writing, music, video creation, art work, accounting and business, and so on. (Ironically, the whole Linux distro scene has long done this very thing, allowing you to have as much or as little in your OS as you want.)

I've made clear that Vista's heavy performance, its EULA, forced automatic updates (for a long time), the infamous kill switch, and combined with the fact that the more Microsoft makes it more difficult to legally use their software, the more piracy becomes a self-reinforcing act. It’s now easier to pirate Windows than to hassle with registering, validating, and upgrading it. And it's been enough to move me to GNU/Linux last year. Not to mention, for lower middle class guys like myself — which includes a good percentage of the US — I can no longer afford to keep buying bigger fatter machines just to keep up with Microsoft, but I shouldn't have to either. Moreover, Vista cedes the low-end PC market to Linux, with Dell, Lenovo, and HP selling cheap Linux desktops for as low as $150.

Lance Ulanoff suggestion of starting over is on the right track, but I don't think Microsoft gets it just yet. So far their solution is more marketing, damnit! In a way though Vista has been very helpful to Linux and Apple. Who among us doesn't know someone who has either bought a Mac or simply begun using Linux as a test replacement for Windows in the past year? And trust me, once those users migrate, they're gone for a very, very long time, if not for good.

Will Microsoft disavow Vista? No. Will they move on? Check back in 2010.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 09:37 AM by zridling »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Good find, Lashiec, but you have to admit that before XP-SP2, it was pretty rough sailing for users, notably with security. Most forget that its first years were plagued with bugs, driver hassles, and a variety of security problems (remember Blaster?) that weren't stamped out until XP-SP2
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:26 PM by zridling »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Good find, Lashiec, but you have to admit that before XP-SP2, it was pretty rough sailing for users, notably with security.

Yep, and the current situation with Vista is the same, just as you said, except for security, of course (I wonder why Vaughan-Nichols says it's the contrary...)

I mean, it's just normal with software, it happened with Windows, it happened with Mac OS X (despite what Steve Jobs says, every new version of Mac OS X it's really a Service Pack), which was very rough during the first versions, and it happens with every Linux distro that wants to challenge the big names (the first versions of Fedora were... hellish), except PCLinuxOS, which, for some strange reason, worked like a charm since the first version. I guess the guys working on it really devoted themselves to making it as compatible as possible.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Check out Linux Mint, too, which really improves on Ubuntu's usability, imo.