topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FTP Client that can process multiple threads in background  (Read 7477 times)

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
FTP Client that can process multiple threads in background
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:17 PM »
I am currently using Total Commander for my FTP Client. Its best feature is that I can send any File transfer operation to the background and then go onto to do another one. I prefer this way to using queues, which almost all FTP clients already support.

If I wish to perform multiple file transfer operations in most FTP clients (e.g. FileZilla), I need to open a new window and connect to the server for each one. I would like an FTP client that can perform Total Commander's send to background feature without opening a new window each time.

My current solution has been to use Total Commander for the file transfers and then do more advanced file operations using a terminal connection via putty.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:21 PM by icekin »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FTP Client that can process multiple threads in background
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 05:53 AM »
What's lacking from the ftp utility in TC?

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:49 AM »
How do I create a new directory on the remote server? I currently have to create a directory on my local disk, then copy it over. I would also like to be able to copy files and folders from one folder on the server to another.

Also, are any of the FTP clients able to zip and unzip archives through the graphical interface? Currently, I have to use the $tar -zvf command through terminal. I also find that several operations like deleting an entire directory are much faster through command line.

For e.g. rm -r <directory_name> takes about 5 seconds to delete a huge directory

On a FTP client, deleting a directory takes a few minutes at least. Any reason why?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:37 AM »
On a FTP client, deleting a directory takes a few minutes at least. Any reason why?
Because the FTP client has to recurse into every folder, delete all files, etc. Every action requires sending the textual command to the ftp server, waiting for response, etc.

Doing "rm -fr" on a terminal, all the actions happen locally on the server.
- carpe noctem

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:49 AM »
After a discussion on the DC IRC channel, I was pointed to <a href="http://www.ftpvoyager.com">FTP Voyager</a>. Its made by Rhinosoft, the same guys who make <a href="http://www.serv-u.com">Serv-U FTP Server</a>. Its an excellent FTP client and able to process multiple threads in the background, much like I wanted. However, as f0dder explained, typing commands directly over the terminal is much faster, so in the end I think I will stick with my current solution of TC and putty.

And FTP Voyager costs too much for just an FTP client.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 08:42 AM »
I would also suggest logging in via SSH and doing your work there. At least use an ftp connection that has been secured by SSL. One mustn't send cleartext password over the internets.

wilfrednilsen

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Use WebDAV as a replacement for FTP
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:22 AM »
Have you considered using WebDAV as a replacement for FTP?

The WebDAV protocol can handle recursive deletion of directories on the server, which makes it much faster than deleting in FTP (*).

WebDAV can easily be encrypted by using HTTPS instead of HTTP.

WebDAV has native client support in some operating systems, thus a client is not needed. Unfortunately, the native Windows versions are not that good. Windows support two clients: Web Folders and WebDAV mini redirector.

A WebDAV server can be mapped as a standard drive on the client, and you can simultaneously upload and download multiple files.

A WebDAV client can connect to a WebDAV server from behind a restrictive corporate firewall since the firewalls are typically setup to allow HTTP traffic, but not FTP traffic.

(*) Deleting recursively on the server must also be supported by the client. As an example, the Total Commander WebDAV plugin is just as slow as the FTP plugin as Total Commander is doing a recursive check before deleting.