ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

sublime text: some innovative text editor!

<< < (4/13) > >>

zridling:
I downloaded the Linux version and like the color schemes, simple scripting of user preferences, and animations. But beyond programming, I've no use for it. Yet I see the attraction throughout -- no clutter, unlimited customization, and simple, self-contained installation and deletion. For $59, it'll need more of its edges rounded.

40hz:
+1 w/Zaine. Much as I love the bird's eye view feature, it's still missing a little too much to woo me away from Vim.

If you're new to Vim - or coming to it for the first time from Windows - try the Cream editor.

Why Cream?

Vim is a powerful and full-featured text editor, the popular descendant of the 1976 Vi text editor.

But Vim has a steep learning curve. It was not primarily designed to be easy to use, favoring performance and technical flexibility instead. Because it is so different, learning to use Vim takes time.

Cream shapes Vim into an interface you probably already know (sometimes called Common User Access [ext.link] ). Whether you are writing emails or developing large software applications, Cream saves you time and gets you up and running quickly.
--- End quote ---

I'll confess, this is what I use most times in NIX. I'll only run vanilla Vim when I need to do something I can't more easily accomplish in Cream.

Paul Keith:
I may be jumping the gun but I would like to nominate this for thread of the year.

Tuxman:
BTW: ST2 is "final".

allen:
BTW: ST2 is "final".
-Tuxman (August 31, 2011, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where'd you get that impression? There was a new build posted, but it's not the first-and it's beta. Still no word on upgrade policy when it is "final".

One killer feature this round is vintage mode--all the sublime goodness, but with vi command mode and key bindings

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version