ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Digital ink/tablet pc: worth the effort?

<< < (6/7) > >>

Darwin:
Digital ink/tablet pc: worth the effort?

João's been following me around all day with a broom and dustpan cleaning up my messes  :o

Thanks, João  :Thmbsup: :-[

J-Mac:
Cleaned up one of mine, too.

Now that is a true, dedicated Moderator!

Jim

mikiem:
"I think the pen, as a sole method of input, would be tiring."

FWIW, I've used tablets (not a tablet PC) for I guess about a little over a decade now, and just like different mice and trackballs, it becomes 2nd nature -- really miss it if you don't have it sort of thing.

Analyzing the why is a bit more difficult, if not impossible... It has to do with the tactile sense &/or sensory feedback you get from using a tablet. And I think it has to do with the way we're wired IMHO -- parents will know what I mean from watching the way their kids use their hands to explore almost from birth. Long story short, it's a more intuitive, natural way to work, not just for drawing images but things like audio envelopes.

Darwin:
I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun - with both mouse and pen - and recommend that if you're at all tempted you pick one of these up to test the waters. I have to confess that I have yet to really use the pen - and I've owned the thing for about two months - but the build quality, price and feature set are hard to beat. I have the little one (4x6 or so...) and have TRIED using the pen as my exclusive pointing device and I can see that if I gave it enough time it would become second nature, as mikiem notes.

mikiem:
Years ago [giving away my age here], you had one pointing device, the pen was wired to the tablet & that was hooked up to one of the serial ports. Back then you had little choice but to live with the thing, so you got acclimated REAL quick.  :P

For the most fun with a tablet if you have family members that aren't tech oriented, show them your Wacom with Vista's handwriting recognition app. Practically speaking, I could very well see my mom using that to write notes and emails. Myself, I've found it absolutely necessary for things like photo touchup -- there's something about a brush stroke that you just can't do with a mouse. For anyone looking to try one on the cheap, geeks.com seems to have a bunch of tablet specials lately, and if you live near an Aldi Foods, keep you eyes open as every once in a while they have their Medion branded version of the Aiptek 12 incher for ~ $40. These aren't Wacoms, but they'll let you get your feet wet for just a little cash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version