ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Digital ink/tablet pc: worth the effort?

(1/7) > >>

jgpaiva:
Ok, so my father needs a new laptop.

We already settled that it needs to be a small computer (12''/13''), but now the doubt came up: should it be a tablet pc?

I understand that a tablet pc is better for reading stuff because you can use it just like a paper sheet. My doubt is with the usefulness of the digital pen, which they advertise as being "the way of the future"(tm) (f0dder :P), but i just can't find REAL useful uses for it, and think that my father would just get tired of using it.

So, i'd like your opinions, whether you have a tablet pc or not, on how useful is this, and if you use it whenever you can.

f0dder:
I think the pen, as a sole method of input, would be tiring.

But for note-taking etc., if it's precise enough, it could be very useful - after all, you often need to jot down quick diagrams/whatever, which is tiresome to do the "typical" way (find the right tool (possibly involving starting another app), drag precisely, ...)

mouser:
I think your gut instinct is right.  Unless you have a very good real reason to want a tablet kind of laptop, i doubt you will actually use the feature.  Furthermore, you are going to pay more for it and it will make the laptop bigger.  So i say that unless he has a really good specific reason to want a drawing tablet, don't get it.

The real first decision i think to make is:
Does he want a big heavy laptop with big screen and big keyboard, or a really lightweight smaller laptop.

I tend to favor a lightweight small laptop, just because it makes it so much easier and funner to carry around with you.  It really does make a difference.  But if his eyes aren't great, a bigger screen could make a big difference.

jgpaiva:
I talked to him about it, and he mentioned it could be useful in meetings, to take notes. Now... I've never seen any paper or digital (typed) notes he has ever did, so i suppose it isn't something he does right now.

Regarding the weigth/size, the one i'm now aiming is the one on the image (hp 2710p), which has a 12'' screen (no problem with the eyes, it's the same resolution as his current one), and has a great weight of 1.6kg (just perfect for the on-the-move life he's going to have).

Unfortunatelly, i can't test its precision, but i think it'd be an important thing to do first :(

mouser:
there is just no way taking notes with a pen on a tablet is going to be used over taking notes by typing on a keyboard, unless all he does is draw diagrams.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version