Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 16, 2014, 04:57:23 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: arrow keys to scroll result list  (Read 6302 times)
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 01, 2008, 04:47:30 AM »

To make farr more usable: I would like to be able to use the keyboard up and down arrow (and pagedown / pageup) to scroll through the hidden results when i query FARR and more results are shown then fit in the normal results list.That way I can quickly discover results that I didn't know about instead of relying on searching for them (which means I know about them). This would be a lot more elegant too than adding +sall to the query.

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:36:40 AM »

I also missed this, just yesterday.

The idea would be that when you get the focus on the last element of the list and press down, farr would add +sall to the editbox.

I think it'd be very useful smiley

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:11:18 AM »

yeah this is not a bad idea, something like this..
Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »

Absolutely, it always happens that I get a lot of results and most are not showed, and one can't remember +sall always cheesy
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 06:57:29 AM »

one thing i was thinking before was if there are a lot of items, make the last item in the result list be something like "More items not shown (122).." which you could click to show all.
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 07:22:07 AM »

That solution sure would work for me smiley

phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 08:10:06 AM »

I'd like to bring this idea back for discussion. Scrolling as suggested by justice would obviously be cool (to do without the extended result list), but something simple to toggle between the normal/extended result list (preferably with a keyboard shortcut) would probably do.

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »

something like an auto-pagination feature could be implemented. if the focus rests on the last result item for a 'x' seconds, then Farr fetches the next set of results and display.

Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:20:16 AM »

Been working with phitsc on WebbMetaSearch (thoroughly wonderful plugin BTW) and he's added status bar buttons for navigating paginated web pages.

I suggested a similar feature for navigating the result pages and he rightly said that that feature sits better in FARR rather than the plugin and directed me here.

So let me add my vote here for some means of navigating a large result set. Personally I'd prefer to see something simple like 'Next Page" | "Previous Page" buttons that would page through the results in both normal list and extended list.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 07:24:20 AM »

i'll try to add *something* for this this weekend, at least to get us started -- i have a big backlog of stuff to do for farr and need to get a new version out asap.
nitrix-ud
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »

great news  Kiss
i can't wait
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »

this is now implemented in the latest beta (not yet available to updater).
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:41:46 AM »

It works. Thanks for that!  Thmbsup

I'd keep justice's initial idea on the list though. Scrolling through the results in big icon view mode would still be very cool!

By the way: why is it +sall only shows the *pure* matches (whatever that is)?

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 09:52:26 AM »

why is it +sall only shows the *pure* matches (whatever that is)?

that is show when the following option is checked:

basically it cuts down on the noise by not matching non-contiguous in this case.
uncheck the option to have it find all matches including non-contiguous ones.
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I guess you have your reasons to make this the default. Nevertheless, I think the *pure* might confuse other people as well.

So hitting page down will re-issue the search instead of just changing the view? (reusing the results from the search before hitting Page Down)

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »

im afraid the nature of the way farr currently stores results makes it necessary to always rerun the search when you ask for more results, no matter which option you check.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.045s | Server load: 0.16 ]